Chapter 17

7th period went as expected. Our project were due in about two weeks, which meant it was almost time for Winter Break. Michael and I finalized our research. Melanie and Nate, however, were a little behind, considering Nate hadn't done any of his homework due to "reaching max levels on video games" over the weekend.

After school, I met up with Melanie and said I'd call her later. We exchanged goodbyes and I found a bench to wait at until Michael arrived. His locker was far from the entrance, so I pulled out the book I was reading.

About 5 minutes into my book, he arrived. I closed my book. "Cas, can you come over to my house?" He asked. I could, but I didn't want my dad mad again. "Yeah, but you know what could happen," I responded, sadly. "Yeah, but I've got brothers," he said, matter-of-factly and smiling. I smiled and replied, "Alright fine."

Apparently, Melanie and I both forgot that she drove me to school and was supposed to take me home. Thankfully, Michael let me ride with him.

We arrived at his house about 15 minutes after we left. He lived in the same neighborhood as Nate.

We got out and walked up to his front door. He found his key and opened the door. Simultaneously, a couple guys ran up to greet him. They seemed oblivious to me still standing in the corner, until one of them turned their heads. He smiled a cheesy grin and said, "Ooh does Mikey have a girlfriend?" The other one turned also and saw me. "No Jermaine, this is Cas and she's here to do homework," he said, gesturing me to them. "Cas, this is Jermaine and Marlon, a couple of my brothers." Jermaine reached out his hand for me to shake, followed by Marlon.

After we shook hands, they left and Michael led me up to his room. "I think they're the only ones here," he said as he shut his door. I sat down on his bed and glanced around. His room was practically spotless; way better than even my room. "Surprised?" He asked, noticing my eyes. "Yeah-I mean, your room, it's like, clean," I responded. He laughed and sat down next to me.

His face softened into a serious tone as he sat. I knew he was going to confront me. "Cas, who this time?" Michael said after a few minutes. I didn't want to talk about it because it bothered me so much that my family was this way. I knew, so far, that Michael had at least two amazing brothers and obviously had a straight enough life to keep his room so clean.

"Michael, I really don't want to talk about it-" I said. "Cas, I lied for you today, and I don't want you to lie to me now." He interrupted, looking me straight in the eye.