Chapter 6

I woke up 5 minutes before my alarm today, which made me extremely angry. I hate when that happens because I can't go back to bed. A few minutes after I woke up, while looking for breakfast in the kitchen, I remembered that our project started today! I got the same anxious feeling as last night, when Melanie reminded me.

I dressed casually, in a white shirt with a reddish-brown sweater cardigan and jeans, paired with my brown boots. I grabbed my backpack and went to my car to drive to school.

>>><<<

The morning had went by slowly, just as I had figured. In Spanish, a few kids thought it'd be fun to act up in class, so we all ended up with extra homework, which is always nice.

Melanie and I walked to lunch after 6th period. I could see her out of the corner of my eye, smiling to herself. "I will find a way to become social and embarrass you in front of someone." I said, smirking. "Let me know when you do, I'll throw a congratulations party," she said back, smiling.

We got our food and ate. There were some new people at our usual table, so we introduced ourselves. I find it very easy to introduce myself to people who are like me, rather than people totally opposite, like Michael.

Lunch wasn't interesting, so I'm not including it. We were just excited for science, well I was. Melanie wasn't too enthusiastic about being partnered with Nate.

>>><<<

"Hey Cas!" Melanie called from across the hall. "Yeah, what?" "Michael's not here today," She said, after she caught up. "Are you serious?" I asked, nervous. "No!" She said back, laughing as we walked into the classroom. I fake-hit her with a book, while we both were giggling.

The bell rang and thankfully, our regular teacher was back. "I understand you got your partners on Friday, correct?" The teacher, Mr. Brooks said. Some people in the class murmured a yes, and he nodded. "Alright, so I'm going to hand out your packets, one per person, and this will tell you what your presentation will be over," he said, grabbing a huge stack of papers.

He gave Melanie and Nate their packets first. "Oh sweet!" I heard Nate say. "Oh no!" I heard Melanie say. "What did you get?" I asked her. "Human Anatomy!!" She said, loudly. I giggled, knowing she hated learning about the human body.

"Here you are," the teacher said, presenting a packet to me. I turned it over and the topic read "Genetics". I practically passed out.

How in the world was I supposed to discuss genetics with the cute guy in front of me!?! Michael turned around with a cute slightly disgusted look on his face, which made me smile slightly. Why everything this boy does makes me smile, I still haven't figured out.

"Genetics, huh?" Melanie said, looking at my paper. "Yep," I replied with a sigh. "I trade you in a heartbeat," she said, looking over at Nate, who was extremely excited. I smiled and she went back to her partner.

"So class, I hope you like your topic," Mr. Brooks said. I knew he gave us our topics on purpose. He wasn't really a mean teacher, but he wasn't the nicest either. "You can begin," he said and he went to sit down. During this time, the teacher doesn't have to do anything but answer questions, so he looks forward to this every semester.

Melanie left to sit by her partner, so Michael came around to her seat. I knew I'd eventually warm up to talking to him, but it wasn't going to happen for a few days. So I sat, anxious and awkward.

We sat in silence for many minutes when I finally realized this wasn't going to work out, so I started to read the first question. "Ok, so the first ques-" "Alright class! Go ahead and pack up! Make sure you get the first page done!" Mr. Brooks said. "Are you kidding me?" I said, under my breath. Michael must've heard me, because he giggled. I smiled as he got up to go to his seat. He turned around and laid a paper on my desk. "Here's my number so we can get the page done," he said. I took the paper and said thanks. "Wait! Maybe you guys can get together with us after school," Melanie said, while pointing to Nate. "We got nothing done, either," she said. I looked at Michael to see his input and he didn't object, so I guess it was a yes.

We met up with both of them after we went to our lockers. We decided on meeting at Melanie's house. This was going to be awkward.