Chapter 19

After our conversation, I ate, showered and went to bed. I wasn't really that tired, but I had nothing better to do.

The next morning, I woke up, dressed, and went to my bathroom. I had a weird feeling. I began to look for a couple of my rings that I never wore, but it was giving me that weird feeling.

I couldn't find them. I always kept them in my cabinet in a specific place and I hadn't worn them ever since I left them there.

My mom was up, so I went to ask her. "Have you seen my rings? The ones in the cabinet under my sink?" I asked, swiftly. I wasn't really paying attention because it was about 6:30 in the morning, but I realized my mom had been crying.

"Yeah, your father..." She said, sitting on her bed and taking a deep breath. "He broke in last night," she sighed, putting her face in her hands.

I was getting absolutely fed up with my father. "Mom, let me stay home today so you can get your work done, your work is more important than my school," "No Cas," she responded, "I'll be fine."

"I'll be fine". That's always the answer. It was too early to argue, so I finished getting my stuff together and ran outside, in the pouring rain, to my car for school.

>>><<<

The rain wasn't exactly lifting my mood. It hadn't stopped ever since I had left that morning. It was kind of preventing me from being extremely happy or extremely angry. I was neutral the entire day with no ups and downs; no one seemed to notice.

Except Michael. That's how it always worked out. He was so observant, it was almost annoying. After every class, he'd hurry over and say, "Cas, are you okay?" I'd reply, "I'm okay," and then hurry onto my next class. He'd do the same once I had disappeared.

What kind of worried me was that Melanie seemed to not have any notice of my attitude change. She still carried on random conversations with me like nothing was happening. The reason it worried me was because she's my only good friend. I don't want to push that away from me.

                                  >>><<<

After school that day, Melanie came rushing over towards me, Nate following behind. "Cas!! You're not going to believe it!!! Nate asked me out!! Ahhh!!" She exclaimed, wrapping her arms around the boy who used to be the most annoying person in the world to her. This is what being partners together on a project does to you.

"Yay Melanie!!! Where are you guys going to go?" I said, attempting to sound as happy as she was. "I don't know yet!! But I'm so happy!! I've got to go," Melanie said, waving and hurrying back to Nate. My day immediately dropped into oblivion and I got in my car, holding back the tears as much as I could.

On my drive home, my phone kept buzzing with text after text from Michael. He wasn't going to leave me alone.

Pulling into the driveway, I decided just to call him. After a few rings, he picked up. "Cas, tell me what's wrong, or I'm coming over." "Michael, I just got home, and I don't want to talk about it. You already know what's going on," I responded, sighing. A few minutes of silence came over the conversation. I sensed something, but I couldn't sense what it was.

After a short moment, I soon found out what we sensed.

A truck pulled in next to me.

My dad.