Chapter 10

I was falling behind on my excuses, but I attempted anyway. "What do you mean? It's a pen sm-" Michael interrupted,"I know it's not, you've been acting different and I know it's a bruise," he said with a firm voice, looking me straight in the eye.

"Alright, yes it's a bruise," I said, exasperated. "What's it from?" He asked, not giving up. "It's-it's nothing," I said, looking away. "Cas, tell me," he said lowly, but strong.

"It's my dad! Alright? It's my dad," I said in a loud voice, letting everything out. "We had an argument and he flipped out and hit me because I was wearing your jacket!" I cried, tears now streaming down my face. I got up and paced the room. "Cas, why didn't you say anything?" Michael said, standing to take my hands and hold them. "I didn't want anyone to know. You know, not many people walk into their house wondering if they're going to get hit by their dad," I said, practically trembling now. "Have you told your mom?" He asked, bringing me into his arms. "No, she goes through that 10 times as much as I do, and I didn't need her worrying," I responded, giving into his embrace and laying my head on his shoulder.

We stood like this for what seemed a long time, but it felt Heavenly. His arms were strong, but comforting. We finally pulled apart and I sat back on the bed. "Let me see your bruise," He said, moving my hair. I winced as he lightly brushed his finger over it. "I'm sorry," he said, with sympathy. "You get used to it after a while," I said, giving a half-hearted smile.

We talked for a little while after. He would tell cheesy jokes and I'd laugh and we eventually became a hysterical mess of laughter.

>>><<<

I've got to get home," he said a little while after our laughing mess died down. "Alright, see you later!" I said, giving him a smile. We walked downstairs to the front door and once we got there, he turned around. "I want you to keep my jacket," he said, handing me his black jacket. "Why?" I said, taking it. "Just because," he said, smiling. I smiled back and said thanks.

A little while later after he left, my mom finally came downstairs from her work. My brother spent most time in his room, which I wouldn't blame him for doing.

"Did you have someone over?" She asked, once downstairs. I was sitting on the couch, reading. "Oh yeah, it was my friend Michael," I responded, looking up from my book. "Oh ok," she said, giving a tired smile. She wasn't the type to expect anything other than a friend. Even if she did, she'd want to know everything about the other person like a teenage girl.

She went into the kitchen and started supper. After a few minutes, she came back, sat on the couch and turned the tv on. I knew she wanted something, so I asked,"Do you believe me?" "No, you don't have many guy friends, are you sure he's just a friend?" She asked, curiously.

"Mom, I'm sure," I said while laughing. "We were paired together for a science project." "Oh alright then," she said, although determined not to give up. "What does he look like?" I giggled and said, "He has nice eyes, a cute smile, and beautiful long curls." She brought back her teen girl self. "Do you have a picture of him?" She asked, while smiling a little. I smiled and pulled up a picture on my phone. "He's cute," she said, while smiling. We both started laughing. She began to tell me stories of her crushes in high school. In that midst of time, I felt as if all the pain in our lives had drifted away.