Chapter 8

You know that look in horror movies that one of the characters gives? It's like they're staring out into space as if they can see another world? That's basically exactly what I walked into.

I quietly tried to sneak around the chair in the living room to get up the stairs. That didn't work.

"Cassandria," he said, in a rough tone. He never called me by 'Cas', nor if he ever tried, I wouldn't answer by it.

"Yes?" I said, half nervous. "Where have you been?" He asked, scaring me a little with his glare. "I went over to Melanie's to do homework," I answered, trying my best to look him in the eye. "Why couldn't you do it here?" He asked, his glare not softening one tiny bit. "She asked me, plus I needed help," I responded, fighting the urge of just running up the stairs to my room. "You should've came home earlier-who's jacket is that?" He asked, pointing. I forgot I was wearing Michael's jacket. I didn't know whether to lie or tell the truth. I decided on the truth, which was probably stupid of me. "It's my friend, Michael's, he let me borrow it because I forgot mine," I said, practically cowering. "Who's Michael?" He asked, practically a few inches from my face. "I promise, he's just a friend," I said, trying to back away.

I was getting extremely sick of him. "You're not supposed to be with guys!" He yelled at my face. My mom or brother wasn't home because she had taken him to his baseball practice. I was done, so I basically went off on him. "You know what? I'm seventeen. I wouldn't even be here if it weren't for Stephen and mom! I'm constantly in fear that something's going to happen to them because of you! I'm sick and tired of having to wake up to this every morning and having to hear this every night before I sleep! I just wish you'd get out of our lives!" I screamed, while a heavy flow of tears streamed out of my eyes. Next thing I know, I felt a hot sting on my cheek.

He stormed out the door after hitting me. I had no idea what to do, so I ran to my room and slammed the door. I grabbed a pillow and screamed as loud as I could into it. I took Michael's jacket off and considered throwing it across the room until I snapped back into reality and realized I liked Michael. I held against me for comfort and let the tears flow until I had no more.

                                  >>><<<

I fell asleep while clutching his jacket. It made me feel safe, even though I knew I never would be.

My mom and brother eventually got home. I didn't wake up until the next morning. I had cried so much that my face hurt.

I got up and went to the bathroom to look at my face. I checked my phone which read 5:25am. I looked in the mirror and saw red, bloodshot eyes and a nice, bluish bruise on my cheek.

I needed to cover it up if I was going to go to school. I was afraid to tell my mom because she'd get more stressed. I didn't want anyone at school to see because they'd worry.

I didn't have any good foundation to cover it up, so I left my hair down without pinning it back so it'd maybe cover up my bruise. If anyone asked, I'd just say I accidentally ran into something. I mean, for me, it's believable.

I changed and got ready for school. I grabbed Michael's jacket, which thankfully was not soaked with tears. About an hour later, I got in my car and drove to school.