Chapter 14

I sat quickly on the chair behind me so I wouldn't faint. Even though he deserved it, my mom never even thought about divorcing. She grew up pretty religious and followed God, but never did she seem like the type to divorce.

I didn't even know if it was my mom's choice, or my dad's. I assumed it was my mom, but why would she leave them open on the table?

My mind then raced to the consequences of divorce. When going over child custody, what if my dad was to win and have us? What if we had to live with my dad? I knew almost nothing about divorce and now my heart pounded so loud I couldn't think straight.

I tried stacking the papers the best I could, and went back to my room. I didn't really know who to talk to, so I just laid and thought about it.

To everyone's absolute surprise, a car door slammed.

                                   >>><<<

After hearing the door, I jumped and went to my window. Of course, it was my dad.

I decided to be risky and stupid. I crept down the stairs after hearing him barge into the kitchen.

"What?!" I heard him yell. I tiptoe-ran to the nearest room, which was the laundry room. He slammed the papers down on the table and began storming through the hallway. I heard him barge in through a room.

"Alright b****," he said, in a low, growling-type tone. "Think you can just divorce me like that, huh." I heard stomping to and from the room. "Well you know what?" I heard many ripping sounds. "Rick, like that's going to stop me," my mom replied.

"You know what happens with divorce in this state, my lawyer is good and I'll get the kids," he said, "If that's a sacrifice you're willing to make, then be my guest." I was silent, but my head felt like there were huge speakers in it projecting screaming noises.

"The kids are staying with me," she said back, in a forceful tone. "Yeah right, what if I just go into your son's room right now and just take him and flee," he said back, shrugging like it was a simple scenario.

"You wouldn't, I know you Rick, and I have no idea what changed you into this monster, you were so-" "I don't need your stalling, I'm serious, what if I did just that?" He said, backing up to the doorway.

I was on their verge of pushing open the door and charging like a bull, but I waited just in case. A few moments later, the yelling erupted. Curses everywhere, insults, threats, you name it, they've got it.

Suddenly, everything went quiet. I heard footsteps coming towards a door. It didn't sound like my laundry room door, but rather the room across, which was Stephen's.

I put my ear against the door, so I could hear. "We're leaving," I heard the same low voice say. That was it. I threw open the door and charged into Stephen's room. I swung my foot which thankfully came right into contact with a nice, painful area which made him collapse with pain.

I told Stephen to get in his closet. My dad, or should I say Rick because no dad should act like this, reached for Stephen as he ran by for his closet. I then kicked again, unfortunately not as good as the first time, but getting the attention I needed. I ran into the living room as he stood up. He trailed behind at a fast pace.

Once in the living room, I squared up, hopefully ready for whatever was next. "Fight me. Hit your own daughter, why don't you," I said, feeling way less brave than I sounded. I'm not sure why I said it, because it sparked something in him that led to rage.

He swung out with full force. Not expecting him to do so, I couldn't block it. His fist collided with my face so fast, I couldn't of blocked it even if I was ready. I fell backward and stumbled onto the ground. I laid there, barely hurt physically, but torn apart emotionally.

A few minutes later, he left, slamming the door and leaving me laying on the floor, too ripped up to even try sitting up.