Chapter 4

I awoke to the sound of clanging downstairs. I'm not a light sleeper, so it had to be extremely loud.

I checked my phone to see what time it was. It read 4:05 am. I got out of bed and slowly went down the stairs. When I got to the edge of the kitchen door, I peeked around and saw my dad throwing things. He must've come home drunk. I held my breath and turned back quickly, then headed back upstairs to my room.

I didn't know whether or not to tell my mom. If I didn't tell her, she'd wake up to a mess and start running behind. Thankfully, it was only Saturday, so I could help her. If I told her, she'd risk getting hurt. So I decided just to lock my door, and stay in for the night. It was a huge mistake.

                                    >>><<<

I woke up naturally, thankful for no annoying beeping. I checked my clock, which read 9:40 am. I got up and went downstairs. I had forgotten what happened the night before. I waltzed into the kitchen, just like every other day, and saw plates and bowls thrown and shattered all over the room. I was careful not to step on any glass fragments, and went in further.

There was red smears on some of the glass pieces. It was on the floor, too. I backed out of the kitchen and ran upstairs. I first ran to Stephen's room, who was still sound asleep. I closed his door, and then went to my mom's room. She wasn't there.

I tried not to panic, and ran back downstairs to see if there was any note. I looked for about 5 minutes when I came across a quickly scribbled on piece of paper. It read:

Cas, I needed to go somewhere. Please do not touch anything in or even near the kitchen. I'll be back shortly," ~Mom

A sudden wave of anxiety rushed over me. What if she had gotten hurt? What if she had gone to the hospital? I ran back upstairs and grabbed my phone to call her.

There was no answer, so I called Melanie who picked up right away.

"Hello?" She asked, with a yawn. "You need to come over right now," I said, trembling. She didn't respond, but rather hung up and was at my house in less than 10 minutes.

She came in and saw what I was so nervous about. The kitchen could've been a crime scene by the looks of it. The red marks had to be blood, because of all the glass pieces. She sat down on the couch, as if she'd been struck by a sudden wave of anxiousness, also. We sat together for what seemed forever, when I finally got a call.

It was from my mom.