Chapter 9

I arrived at school surprisingly early for me. I guess that gave me time to mentally prepare myself for the day.

After about 15 minutes of waiting, I saw Melanie arrive. I gathered my stuff, made sure my hair covered my bruise, and got out of my car and walked over to her.

"Hey Cas! How are-what's that on your face?" She asked, reaching to move my hair. I pushed her hand away gently. I forgot that she was so observant. "Oh that? That's nothing," I said, while thinking of a lie. "It's just a pen ink smudge that I couldn't get off." Note to myself: Don't go into a career that involves excuses.

However, it seemed to work for Melanie because she just nodded and changed the subject. "I see you're still wearing Michael's jacket," she said while smirking. "Oh yeah, I forgot to give it back before I left. I'm going to give it back today though," I said. I knew it was obvious that my behavior had taken an abrupt turn. "Are you sure that's not more than just a pen smudge?" She asked, looking curious. "I'm sure, it's fine," I said, opening the door to the school and walking down the hall to my locker.

                                  >>><<<

The morning had been super boring. Lunch had finally came around, and Melanie and I walked to the lunch room. We were welcomed with the surprise of Nate and Michael sitting at the table where we sit. We waved and sat with them.

"Oh, Michael, here's your jacket," I said, while taking it off. I must've brushed my hair along the way because Michael asked what the thing was on my face. "She says it's just a 'pen smudge' she couldn't get off," Melanie said, mockingly. I rolled my eyes and said, "I'm positive that's what it is, I'm fine," I responded, giving a slight smile to them.

We got our lunch and ate. We talked about the day before and how heavy the rain was. "Oh my goodness, remember when Nate's papers flew everywhere and we practically fell all over the yard trying to get them?" Melanie said, while laughing. We all started laughing at the memory. All of a sudden, the memory, well more like a nightmare, of what happened after I came home came back to me. I stopped laughing abruptly and wrapped my arms around my stomach. "Are you okay?" Melanie asked after realizing I abruptly quieted. "Yeah, I think I'm done eating though," I gathered my trash and went to the trash cans.

After lunch was of course Advanced Sciences. It was a whole lot easier to talk to Michael today than it had been. I guess that meant that I had opened up to him.

Once the bell rang, everyone gathered their stuff in a hurry and rushed out the door because it was Friday. Everyone except for Michael who came over to me at my locker.

"Cas, can I talk to you somewhere after school?" Michael asked softly. I had a feeling he knew, but I was so scared of getting spotted with him. "Yeah, but where? I can't go anywhere after school," I answered, shutting my locker. "We can meet at your house, I'm pretty sure it won't take long," he said. I was very frightened with the idea, but I went with it. "Alright, just meet me there," I said, texting him my address because I didn't have a piece of paper.

I arrived home a little after 3:00pm, Michael following. I knew my dad wouldn't be home, but I couldn't promise he wouldn't be there later. I gathered my stuff and got out of my car. I walked to my front door, Michael tagging behind. We walked in and I threw my stuff onto the couch. "So where do you want to go?" I asked, crossing my arms. "Whatever's good for you," he responded. I decided the safest spot would be my room just in case my dad did come home.

We walked up to my room and sat on my bed. We sat in silence and stared off like we could see the future, until Michael finally broke the silence. "Cas, I know that's not a pen smudge and you can't lie about it anymore," he said, shifting his position.