Hindered Love

Chapter One

"Uh, that speech you gave on wolfsbane was very inspiring Professor..." Severus Snape looked up from the test he was marking to see a sixth year Slytherin standing before him. She was wringing her hands through nervousness and he could see her chewed lip through the curtain of her copper coloured hair. Her large, doe-like eyes gazed inquisitively at him, the same colour of amber or liquid gold.

"Thank you Hestia." He murmured before returning his concentration to his work. His long, black hair framed his pale face like a curtain and his cunning black eyes stared impassively at the paper resting on his desk.

"I, uh, was wondering... It's just that on Saturday I was going to get some supplies for Potions and I needed some help... Professor Dumbledore said that I couldn't go out alone, so, uh, I thought that maybe you could come with me? Unless you're busy of course, I could always -"

"That would be fine." Severus said quietly, still not glancing up from the desk. He could feel the corners of his mouth twitching up into a small smile at how nervous the girl before him was. Young woman really.

"Oh! Thank you so much Professor! Where shall I come and find you?" The note of excitement in her voice was clearly noted by Snape who struggled to keep his mouth from grinning.

"I will come to your common room to find you, I am the head of Slytherin after all."

"Ok Professor! I'm sorry if it will be too much of a bother but thank you so much for agreeing to come with me! I could do with your expertise." With that she all but skipped out of the room, a warm blush creeping onto her cheeks.

*~*~*~*~*

"I am looking for Hestia." Severus snapped when asked for the hundredth time what he was doing in the Slytherin common room. He lent against the cold, marble fireplace and tapped his foot impatiently, waiting for some girl he didn't even know to bring Hestia from her room.

He struggled to hold back a gasp when she came to the top of the stairs. The black, skintight skirt she wore barely covered her thighs and the emerald green long sleeve jumper was extremely low cut. It wasn't this that startled him, although it was a little strange to see her dressed like this when at school she was such a stickler for rules and regulations. No, it was the pair of scuffed army boots that fitted halfway up her calf were what surprised him. They were an exact replica of his own.

Hestia noticed the Professor  staring at her and blushed before tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear. When she reached the bottom step she jumped off and waltzed over to Snape who had composed himself but was still staring avidly at her feet.

"Do you like my shoes Professor?" Hestia asked, grinning slightly when her eyes met the Professors. She could see a small smile tug at the corner of his lips as he realised that they were the exact same ones that he owned himself.

"Very nice Hestia. Now I really think we should get going." With that he strode from the room, black cape billowing dramatically behind him. Hestia had to practically run to keep up with his long, fast strides until he came to an abrupt stop just outside the castle gates.

The watery dawn sunlight was spreading rapidly across the dew scattered glass, spraying pigments of light everywhere as they refracted through the water. The sky was a deep azure blue and was blemished with small wisps of white cloud. Hestia was too busy admiring the scenery that she didn't realise Snape had stopped and ran into the back of him, sending him sprawling across the gravelled path.

"I am so sorry Professor!" She gasped, reaching out a hand to pull him up of the floor. His mouth was set in a firm grimace as he was pulled to his feet and he glared darkly at her before beginning to speak.