Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Draco sat in the empty reception room, rubbing his hands nervously. He tugged at the lapels of his black suit and sighed. It would all be over soon anyway. He absentmindedly ran a hand through his silvery blond hair to make himself look acceptable as his father strolled through the door.

"So this is where you are hiding then." He smirked before sitting beside Draco in a matching expensive black suit and pale blue tie.

"I'm not hiding." Draco mumbled before resting his elbows on his legs and his head in his hands. "Urgh, why do I have to do this!" He yelled into his hands, feeling incredibly angry.

"You know why. Maybe if you'd have kept your hands to yourself, this would never have to happen. I cannot say that I am proud that she is marrying into our family, but she has determination and ambition and will hopefully do well in life. And at least she is a pure-blood." Draco lifted his head from his hands and stared murderously at his father.

"At least she is a pure-blood?" Draco screamed, jumping up from the bench and pacing angrily backwards and forwards, throwing his hands down in fury. "Is that all you have to say? I don't want to marry her now, I'm too young! And she doesn't want me."

"But didn't you two... uh, sleep together?" Lucius asked, raising an eyebrow, causing Draco to frown before throwing himself into a chair.

"Yes." He whispered angrily. "But I have the feeling that she just went along with it. She doesn't have feelings for me! I have feelings for her, so strong it hurts, but she still wants... Severus."

"How do you know that?" Lucius asked, his voice sounding strangely... concerned and fatherly. Draco furrowed his eyebrows and looked at him like he had just sprouted another head. He wasn't used to his father being so gentle.

"I just know." Draco sighed, biting his lip hard so that he wasn't tempted to cry.

"After last night I'd be surprised if she could even mildly like the man. She pushed him away Draco, she slept with you and she is marrying you. She will have to learn to love you, but I'm sure it would happen."

"Is he... coming to the wedding?" Draco asked reluctantly and Lucius grinned.

"You honestly thought that I wouldn't invite the man? You know how much he deserves to suffer, so I sent him an invite, yes. I'm sure that the look on his face when you two become married will be priceless." He laughed coldly and Draco just shook his head in disbelief and walked from the room.

"You truly are a disgusting man." He muttered and Lucius rolled his eyes, smiling slightly.

"Really Draco. I wouldn't call it disgusting, just making sure that my new daughter in law is happy, seeing him suffer." Draco reached the door and turned to look at his father who was grinning.

"She will never be happy. Not with me anyway." He whispered, eyes clouded with tears. He closed the door so that it clicked softly and walked  to his room, struggling not to cry. He stumbled into his bathroom and turned on the tap, allowing the room to steam up with the heat of the gurgling water.

He gripped the sides of the sink and stared at himself in the mirror before splashing himself with the near to scalding water.

"Snap out of it Draco." He muttered to himself. "Look at what that girl has done to you." He allowed a few tears to join the water slowly swirling down the plughole and turned off the tap. "But I can't live without her." He whispered sadly, resting his forehead against the cool glass of the mirror and crying softly.

*~*~*~*

Hestia stood before the wardrobe, staring glumly at the wedding dress that hung from her body. The white fabric was wrapped tightly around her torso, glittering with hundreds of small fabric flowers, and the skirt was a large meringue of ivory netting and fabric that exploded from the tight waistline and dripped onto the floor. She had a long, translucent train matching the bead embellished veil that was pinned in place by a small silver tiara, bedecked with light blue jewels and pearls.