Downtown

I'm wiping the watermarks off the last batch of wine glasses as Tinsley spins the "Open" sign over to "Closed." Tonight wasn't all that busy, so it won't take us long to close up. She twirls around and is about to say something when there is a knock at the winery door. We both look through the glass window and see an anxious-looking Poppy waiting to be let in. Tinsley unlocks the door and Poppy comes striding through.

"Hey Tins, is my dad still around?" She asks almost nervously and Tinsley nods as she points to the office in the back. She gives me a half-smile as she passes by and when she's out of earshot, I glance to Tinsley, "I wonder what's up with her?" She closes the gap between us in two steps and lowers her face next to mine, "Now, this is all hearsay, but rumor is going around that the Penderghasts want to sell off the winery." She notices my eyes widen and she nods her head. I glance behind me to make sure Poppy isn't around and when I'm in the clear I reply, "The Penderghasts have literally been the sole makers of wine in this part of Mississippi for over a century. Why sell?" Tinsley leans into me and rubs her fingers together implying "Money." I want to ask her more about it but I'm not allowed to say anything else as Poppy comes flying out from the back room. Her dad is striding right behind her and they are both clearly in the midst of an argument.

"You are putting me in an awkward position dad. That check is supposed to help with the restoration and now I have to go tell Mr. Huxley he can't cash it. How will I answer his questions?"

Mr. Penderghast shakes his head, "I'm sorry Poppy, it is what it is. If you try to cash it, it will bounce." She stares at her dad while shaking her head. Neither of them says anything else and Poppy spins on her heel, flipping her sleek black hair behind her before marching out the front door. Mr. Penderghast awkwardly looks back to me and Tinsley and we are both now meticulously wiping down the wine lists. He gives us a half-smile before fleeing back to his office. When we hear the door shut, I look to Tinsley, "If we leave now, I will be more than happy to come in a half-hour early and finish these duties tomorrow." Tinsley instantly nods her head yes, both of us wanting to leave the awkward atmosphere and I follow behind her as we dash out the door.

As we cross the parking lot Tinsley asks, "Hey, have any plans tonight?" I shrug and shake my head. She smiles and adds, "I think I'm gonna pop by Mel's for a bit. Wanna come and get a drink?" I think of going home to my momma and my lonely room before immediately nodding my head. I slide into my car and follow Tinsley down the main road that leads into town.

Mel's is always busy on a Saturday night since it's the only dive bar in Hollis. Tinsley has a grip on my hand as she pushes her way through the crowd and she snags us a small pub table in the center of the bar. Loud country music engulfs us so we have to shout to our waitress as we order. As she saunters off, I glance around the bar and notice Margot and Austin playing a game of pool at the side of the bar. I would go over and challenge my brother to a friendly game but I've recently discovered how little I like Margot Hamilton. My momma is overjoyed that Austin is not only dating someone in Hollis but one of the Hamilton sisters. They are almost as wealthy as the Hemmings and both Margot and her sister Molly are flawless. Unfortunately, perfect people know they are perfect and Margot has a habit of looking down upon me and my shenanigans. She still frowns at my whole Whitney scandal and has mentioned her distaste for girls that can't control their alcohol- Annabeth and I laughed at this loudly as we polished off a fine bottle of Merlot.

I look back to Tinsley who has also noticed Margot and Austin and she says, "So those two huh? I'm actually surprised to see Austin back in Hollis with a girlfriend." I watch her wishful eyes glance to his pretty face and I've seen that look on a lot of hopeful girls. Tinsley went to school in Oxford but that didn't stop her from fully knowing who Austin Sweeney was.

I nod to her, "Of all the girls in Hollis, why did he have to fall for a Hamiltoe?" Tinsley giggles and snorts as the waitress reappears with our drinks. She drops a beer down for Tinsley and slides a rum and coke over to me. I take a sip through the small cocktail straw and my eyes widen at how strongly they mixed the drink. Tinsley takes a quick swig from her bottle and I lean back into her, "So, what else do you know of those rumors? Do you think we'll be out of a job?"

She shakes her head so her blonde waves sway, "I don't know. All I do know is that the Penderghasts are no longer sittin' comfortably. They are looking to sell the winery and the vineyards. I heard Mrs. Penderghast talking about downsizing in Oxford." My eyes are wide in shock. I take another quick sip before saying, "Wow, I don't know the last founding family that left here. The Penderghasts are such a well-known part of Hollis."

Tinsley has her bottle up to her thin red lips and with a smirk she says, "I know, and Poppy still lives at home. Oxford is about an hour south of Hollis and her life is here." I nod immediately knowing what she means. The Historical Society is Poppy's baby and Jackson lives a ways north of Hollis. That's quite the commute for them. As soon as the thought of Jackson crosses my mind, I frown when I see him coming over my way. It's like he was waiting to appear.

He has a smirk on his handsome face and when he reaches my table, he leans into me crossing over into my personal space. Tinsley waves as Jackson nods to her but he immediately gives his attention back to me.

"Out on a Saturday night without the cop? Do I dare say, you two are on the outs?" He bounces his eyebrows up and down and I playfully slug him in the shoulder.

"No, you dimwit. He's working tonight. And he's not a cop, he's a special agent in the F.B.I."

Jackson rolls his eyes as he says, "Tomato, tomahtoe."

"Where's your latest victim?" I ask and he frowns, "I don't know I was waiting for her to get here. She said she had to stop by the winery."

Tinsley nods, "Yeah, Poppy stopped by. But she left before Sawyer and I did." Jackson glances around the bar and we follow his gaze around the room. He shrugs when he meets my eyes and then nods his head towards the dance floor.

"Well since we are both alone tonight, shall we dance?" I laugh at his preposterous idea and wildly shake my head no.

"That would hardly be appropriate." He's still smirking as he drapes his arm over me.

"Come on, this is one of your favorite songs, you know you want to come and dance." Something causes Jackson to suddenly straighten up and Tinsley and I both look at the source. Poppy is frowning to the side of him with her arms now folded across her chest. Jackson spins around to face her but the music is too loud to hear what they are saying. I catch Poppy's eye and I'm sure she wasn't thrilled to see her boyfriend's arm over his ex-fiancé. I try and smile to her to ease any tension but Jackson scoots her off to the other side of the bar without glancing back to me. A laugh escapes me as Tinsley asks, "Is it awkward running into him all the time?" I pull my small tumbler up to my lips and quickly down my drink. I nod to her as I shout back, "It's more awkward being around Poppy. I now work for her family and am a part of the Historical Society. I can tell she can look past my history with Jackson but not if he isn't good at hiding it." She nods and when another song comes over the speakers, I watch her face light up, "This is my jam right now! We must dance!" Her high helium-sounding voice squeals before she pulls me off my stool. I follow behind her as we make our way to the small square dance floor. Jackson and Austin are both with their ladies somewhere in the bar, and I am a bit jealous that Ryan is still stuck at work. I glance to a swaying Tinsley who is reaching out for my hand and am grateful that I at least have a girlfriend to spend a Saturday night with. As the cocktail waitress crosses the dancefloor, Tinsley snags her and orders us another round. I tell her to make mine a double seeing as I have nothing else on the agenda for tonight.