Details

Gus must spot me strolling up his driveway because he kicks the flimsy screen door open with his boot as I reach the stairs.

"Well ain't this a nice surprise my sweets, what drags you on down to my neck of the woods?" He asks as I throw my arms around his broad chest. I smile while I give him a quick squeeze before heading inside. I look back to him as we cross into his small kitchen and reply, "Annabeth threw me a pity invite after seeing my breaking news." He laughs as he pulls a chair out from the kitchen table and I quickly drop into it.

"Yeah, Jackson sure loves given you hell, don't he?" I reach my hand out to him.

"Let me see it. Give me your phone." He sits across from me and stuffs his hand into his pocket. He slides out his phone and when he has the picture pulled up, he slaps his phone into my palm. I pull it up so I can see it and am horrified. Jackson caught me mid-sprint, smiling like an idiot with my boobs bouncing so high they almost hit my chin. My red lace bra is bright against the dark park and it looks like I am doing my best Baywatch impression with my blonde hair flowing in the breeze. I drop the phone on the table before covering my face with my hands.

"I am a drunken idiot."

"It ain't that bad," Gus says nicely as tries to console me and I hear the screen door whip open behind him.

"Are you talking about the picture?" Annabeth asks when she sees us and I nod. "Well, everyone in Hollis knows how perky your size C assets are now. If anything, people should be complimenting you on the amazing revenge body you got after leaving Jackson's ass." Gus nods in agreement and Annabeth shoots him a look. I try and remove my exposed chest out of their mind by saying, "I can't imagine Poppy is thrilled. I think she's already on edge about me." Annabeth empties a plastic bag and hands Gus and I each a sandwich. She shells out bags of chips and drops down between Gus and me at the table. I pop open my bag as she says, "Jackson does need to stop being so flirtatious with you. You're obviously dating Ryan but he hits on you endlessly."

"He's a damn gnat is what he is. He's going to get me into trouble," I snap before biting into my club sandwich.

"Poppy is gonna fire you for no reason if he keeps egging her on like that. She's not gonna want you around any more than you already are," Gus adds and my eyes widen as I remember what Tinsley told me last night. I swallow and lean into the table, "Oh yeah, guess what? Tinsley was saying last night that the Penderghasts might be in some financial trouble. They are looking to sell both their land and winery and move to Oxford." Annabeth's mouth falls open and I nod to her stunned expression.

"Them Penderghasts are a founding family who dominate the South's wine industry. How they broke?" Gus asks and I shrug, "I don't know. Apparently, Poppy can't even cash a check her dad wrote for the charity auction. I'm sure she'll be mortified to explain that to the Historical Society." Annabeth finishes chewing quickly and I can tell she has something to say because she keeps her finger up holding her place until she swallows, "No, how is she going to explain that to the Hemmings? Let's be honest, there is no way the Hemmings will let Jackson get serious with any girl that has financial troubles after Whitney."

Gus nods, "That's true too. I'm sure she'll wanna keep this under wraps. Does she know that you know what's going on?" I shake my head while keeping my hand in the chip bag.

"I don't think so. But I was there when she got into it with her daddy so she might know that I have an idea."

"Well then she better be nice to you, you have dirt on her that you can run and tell the Hemmings. Mrs. Hemming loves you so she'll believe anything you confide to her," Annabeth says before finishing her sandwich.

"That's true. Although, I would never tell anyone...besides you guys. I know what it's like to have a secret go public." I wipe my hands on my jean shorts and Gus frowns at me before handing me a napkin. I snatch it from him and finish wiping the chip dust from my fingers. I lean back in my chair and look to Gus, "So, how have y'all been? I feel like we've all been busy these past couple a weeks."

Annabeth nods, "I know, I've picked up a few more shifts at work. They moved me to the courthouse so I've been dealing with rude impatient people. It ain't my fault you parked illegally." Gus smiles to her and I am tempted to ask how those two are doing but I know I'll ask A.B privately. Gus glances to me and says, "Yeah, I've been same ol' same ol'. Nothin' new and excitin' here." He pops out of his chair and grabs the trash from the table. When he turns his back, I catch Annabeth's anxious eye and I shake my head at her in confusion. She winks to me and then says, "So do you still need me to drop you at work?" Her eyes are wide telling me to play along so I nod, "Uh, yeah if you don't mind?"

"I don't mind. We should head out now then, right?" She asks and I nod, going along with whatever she has going on here. Gus looks back to us.

"Now, I am used to Sawyer dinin' and dashin' but you are dashin' now too?" He asks Annabeth and she gives him a sympathetic nod as she stands from the table.

"Sawyer needs a ride. Blame her," she looks to me and I roll my eyes. I know it's still too early to go to work but she must be trying to leave for a reason. I pull myself out of my chair and turn away when Gus leans down to kiss Annabeth. It still throws me off, but I'm trying to get used to them being together. Gus squeezes my shoulder and follows us out to the porch. I smile to him as I slide into Annabeth's car and she gives him one small kiss before climbing in next to me.

As soon as we are down the driveway, I look to Annabeth and ask, "What was the quick escape all about?" Her hands are tight on the steering wheel and her eyes are glued to the road, "I have to tell you something. But you can't laugh or get all weird on me." She still doesn't look at me but I nod to her as I say, "Okay, I won't laugh...probably." She frowns but continues, "So, Gus and I....last week Gus and I went out to dinner and after I came back to his place and..." I flick my head over to her with wide eyes and squeal, "You slept with Gus?!" My hands fly up to cover my mouth and for some unexpected reason my stomach flips. She bites her lip and nods her head to my words. I'm stunned and have a million questions I want to throw her way. She tightens her grip on the steering wheel and I laugh- I couldn't help it.

"I'm kind of surprised it happened so fast! You guys have only been dating like what? Three weeks?"

She glares at me and snaps, "You slept with Ryan after knowing him like what? Three days?" I dart my gaze back to her.

"Whoa, I'm not judging you. I'm just surprised. You haven't been with anyone since...Josh? And that was after mine and Jackson's engagement party."

"I know, so maybe you can see why I was a bit eager." She's still snappy with me and I'm not trying to give her a hard time but she's taking what I am saying the wrong way. She exhales loudly, letting go of some of her tension.

I look to her as I cautiously ask, "So...how was it?"

"It was...weird! I mean it was good but it was weird! He giggled that Gus giggle and I was thrown off. Like my brain reminded me that it was Gus Blackwood on top of me." I can't help but laugh and she shoots me an evil look again. I throw my hands up.

"Hey, it's weird for me too. All the perverted questions I'd normally ask you after a romp sesh don't apply here. I really don't want to know much about Gus's performance."

"Well, I think we need to give it a little more time before our next session. I mean I still like him, I think we just went there too early. I feel awkward around him now," she confesses. I look to her as she's focused on the road. The worst possible scenario is Gus and Annabeth don't work out. How will they ever be able to be around each other as friends after sleeping together? Except, I'm still confident that those two are more than compatible seeing that they are best friends already. That and I know it's Annabeth's life goal to marry into a founding family, even if it's not through Austin Sweeney.

As she pulls up to the winery, I glance to the clock and see I'm still a bit early. Annabeth offers to grab a coffee before I head in and I nod in agreement. It's nice to have some girl time after not seeing each other for so long. And I know she'll make me keep my shirt on.