Distractions

My heart is still pounding and my mind can't think of anything other than Annabeth. Austin managed to call Momma into the kitchen and Ryan squeezes my hand as I gaze into the abyss. He knows my brain is working overtime so he lets me stay inside my head while we wait. Momma gliding into the kitchen snaps me back to reality and she gives a small smile to Ryan. She looks to me and asks, "What's all the fuss?"

Austin pulls out a chair for her and after she sits, he drops down into the chair next to her. Everyone is looking at me, eagerly awaiting to hear what I have to say. I shove Annabeth to the back of my mind for the moment as I twist my hands together. I look to Momma as I answer, "So, today at work Tinsley told me that the Penderghasts have decided to close the winery and move to Oxford."

"Oh no, that poor family," Momma says while slowly shaking her head but before she can go into how sorry she feels, I continue, "Tinsley said the Penderghasts were looking to sell the winery but as of now, there haven't been any serious buyers. It looks like the winery might be taken by the bank."

"What a shame," Momma interrupts and I nod along to her comment.

"It is a shame. The winery has been a part of Hollis for years and it would be terrible for the bank to tear it down or sell it to some chain or franchise." She clicks her tongue and I knew her fiery hatred for commercial businesses taking over the town would be a good sell point. Austin and Ryan are still looking at me as I add, "So I was thinking that maybe, the winery could become Sweeney's Winery?"

I watch as all three of their brows furrow in deep thought and confusion. Austin holds his hand up and asks, "Wait. You want to buy the winery?"

I nod.

"Yeah, I do. I think I would be great at running it. I would keep the current staff on and can run it. I know I can."

"You'd drink half of the inventory. I don't know if it would be wise to put you in charge of lots of expensive wine," Austin replies with a smirk. Momma purses her pink lips together and I watch her blue eyes dart to Austin. Ryan looks to me and says, "You don't really know how to run a business though, love."

"Your resume literally consists of one job. And unfortunately, it's a job that requires no real skill," Austin says and I frown to him.

"I know, but I could learn it. I could hire Annabeth to help me do the office part, she does have plenty of experience. I would keep on the current sommeliers. I don't want to be a hostess my whole life and this would give me something to do!" I say, trying to convince all three of them that this is a good idea.

Momma finally looks from Austin to me and asks, "And what happens when you no longer want to run a winery, Sawyer? You attempted to plan the Wellington grand opening for two seconds before you tried to pass it off."

I roll my eyes.

"That's different."

"Not by much darlin'. I'm sorry but you don't stay interested in anything long enough to financially commit to something like this," Momma says plainly and I begin to deflate. I shake my head in frustration as I reply, "I could do this! I could finally have purpose and direction."

"Sawyer, you've made it abundantly clear that you don't want to be a housewife and you don't want to be overly involved in high society events either. But buying and managing a business that you've only been a part of for a couple months is crazy talk," Momma says. I look to Ryan and ask, "Do you think I could do it?"

He raps his knuckles on the table as he thinks of his response. He sighs before he says, "I think you could do it with the right help. I just don't think you have the experience to fully know what kind of commitment you are getting into."

"I finally find something I am extremely interested in and I have no support," I snap and Ryan looks to me apologetically. Austin shakes his head as he says, "We just don't know if this is something you could fully commit to. This is huge."

Momma looks to me after intensely staring at the table, as if there was a secret message encoded on it and says, "I'll make you a deal, Sawyer."

I fold my arms across my chest as I rock on my heel.

"What kind of deal?" I ask dreading her answer. It will probably be that I have to marry Tate Samuels and take over the D.A.R and manage debutante classes.

She looks to me and replies, "You plan this grand re-opening from A-Z without passing anything off or taking shortcuts and I will speak to your father about purchasing the winery."

Stunned I look to her and reply, "You will?"

"Yes. Show me you can follow through on somethin' and not get distracted or bored and I will take you seriously in wanting to buy it." I know my jaw is hanging open as I look to her and I'm sure Austin has the same expression. I thought any deal made with the devil would be far worse than that.

I nod and reply, "Fine. I will plan the greatest grand re-opening Hollis has ever seen and then you can see that I can take things seriously."

I now know that I cannot get distracted by Annabeth's possible bombshell, LulaBelle's pestering or Poppy's investigation. My sole focus will have to be the Wellington House. Momma looks to me and says, "I'm givin' you a chance, Sawyer. The only person you can disappoint now is yourself."

She pushes herself away from the table and strides off down the hallway. I look back to Ryan and Austin as Austin says, "She knows you'll screw it up. Now she doesn't have to be mother monster tellin' you no. You'll be tellin' yourself."

"I'm not going to screw this up then," I say with a smirk to Austin and he just slumps back in his seat. I then look to Ryan.

"I can't let anything distract me now. Not Annabeth, or Poppy or anything else."

"This might be the best way to keep you outta trouble," Ryan replies and I roll my eyes at him. I look to Austin as I ask, "Can we keep the whole pregnancy and winery thing to ourselves? I don't want anyone to know about either of those and quite frankly, I don't think Annabeth does either."

"Who am I gonna tell?" Austin says smugly and I frown at him.

"Margot!"

He quickly shakes his head but he doesn't deny it. I don't need someone asking about Annabeth when she might not even know herself. I continue to glare at him and he finally replies, "I won't say anything to Margot alright?"

I thank him and then look back to Ryan.

"Are you ready to take me out yet? After the day I've had, I am very much looking forward to skipping to dessert."

"Yeah, but first I need a really big beer. You forget that I thought you were pregnant for about six hours today," he says as he stands from the table.

"I'm sorry about that. I'd be glad to make it up to you though," I say seductively and Austin immediately pops up from his seat and dashes out of the room while groaning dramatically.