Questions

Ryan and I were supposed to have our second official date tonight, but I haven't heard a word from him since he dropped me off this morning. Austin was surprised at the news when he came strolling into the kitchen after Mrs. Hemming left and said his expertise may not be required in a murder investigation. He said he probably wouldn't be called in until there is a prime suspect and that's only if the police need help with surveillance or hacking, which probably won't be needed in a small-town murder with only one victim.

I rolled my eyes as he sat down at our dining room table to console a distraught Margot, knowing she despised Poppy. She sobbed into my brother's chest after "reminiscing" about all of the good times and I got up and left when she said Poppy was like a sister to her. I couldn't believe she was trying to connect herself to Poppy when she so openly hated her for years.

I sit exhausted in my room around eight o'clock after calling both Annabeth and Gus to tell them the news. They were going on a date tonight but said they'd come to discuss things further when they visit me at the winery tomorrow night. I toss my phone to the end of the bed and I'm startled by a booming knock echoing around the house coming from the front door. I scoot myself off my bed and peer from the hallway to watch Austin answer the front door.

Detective Mason Connor comes striding into the foyer and I watch as he shakes hands with Austin. I scurry over to the banister when I hear the Detective ask to speak with my mother. Austin leads the detective through the hallway that leads to the kitchen and I immediately dash downstairs. I tiptoe across the foyer and slide down the hall with my back against the wall. I can see Celia making Mason coffee but he's speaking to my mother by the back door, which is blocked by the wall. I press myself further against the hallway wall and lean in to hear their conversation.

"Yes Detective, we do own a golf cart but we store it out back in our shed," I hear her say and then Mason replies, "We think we may have found your golf cart down by the tree line that sits at the bottom of the seventh hole."

"Heavens, I have no idea how it got there," Momma replies in a tone I know all too well. She knows exactly how it got there because she knows her daughter used to steal that cart and drive it on down to the golf course all the time in high school.

"Well Mrs. Sweeney, we are having it dusted for fingerprints and we may have to keep it in evidence. Do you know if anyone could have stolen the golf cart off your property last night?" He asks her and I know I need to make myself known. They can't think the murderer used our golf cart because the only prints they'll find are mine and Ryan's.

I push myself off the wall and stride into the kitchen where I find Austin, Momma and the detective now seated at the kitchen table. I don't see or hear Margot so she must have left already to go do her fake sobbing elsewhere.

Momma snaps her head over to me when she sees me and I wave to the detective. I drop into a seat next to Austin and look over to Mason, who has his notebook perched in his hand in front of him.

"Sorry to interrupt Detective Connor, but I can explain how the golf cart ended up in the tree line by the course," I start to explain and he nods for me to continue, "I told you Ryan and I were on the course to watch the sunrise, well...we got to the course by use of that cart."

He nods as he jots down notes and his furrowed brow increases the deep wrinkles lining his forehead. Momma's lips are in a tight line and she glares at me as we sit at the table in silence. Finally, Mason looks to me and asks, "Why did you fail to mention that to me this morning Ms. Sweeney? I saw you and Agent Hart drive off in what appeared to be a white four-door car after you gave your statement."

Momma snaps her harsh glare over to me and says, "Tell me you did not leave my car sitting overnight at the country club, Sawyer. You told me you and Ryan left this morning after he was called in about Poppy." She's not going to get angry in front of Mason but her level, controlled tone tells me she is furious.