Vacant

My brain is fried after my momma's party planning session. I'm rubbing my temples as I approach the winery door and I see Tinsley scribbling something down at the hostess stand. I knock on the glass window and her head snaps up at the sound. I can tell something is off by the worried look taking over her face. Her usual peppy voice is melancholy as she says, "Hey Sawyer. Thanks for comin' by."

She shuts the door after I step inside and I notice all of the lights are still off. I look to her as I note the vacant bar and reply, "Sure, what's up?"

She folds her arms across her chest and says, "The Penderghasts want to shut the place down. After Poppy's death, they haven't been able to focus on the business. They are ready to leave to Oxford."

My jaw drops at the news and Tinsley nods to me. I look around the quiet empty bar and ask, "Has anyone offered to buy the place yet? Are they selling?"

She nods.

"Rumor 'round here is they have had some offers but I don't know if any of them came through. The lands and the winery might end up going to the bank." I exhale loudly as I cross my arms across my chest. I know it is a small staff that works here but everyone loves their job. I look back over to Tinsley.

"So, are they staying closed until someone buys?"

She shrugs.

"I guess. Although, I think they should stay open until their inventory runs out at least. We still have plenty of Penderghast Wine in the cellar, they should try and make some money off what they have left."

I look around the dark, empty bar and I am saddened to think of what could happen to this place. If no one buys it, who knows what the bank will do to it. I glance back to Tinsley, who is also gazing around the vacant space as well and ask, "Is there anything I can help you with in the meantime?"

She nods as she pulls her lips to the side of her face.

"I was just 'bout to call up the bands we had scheduled for the next few months to let them know we gotta cancel. It would help if we could split the list."

"Of course. I can help with that," I tell her and she guides me back over to the hostess stand. She pulls out a calendar that shows the bands that are booked through November and a list of their contact info. She takes the October list and hands me November. My eyes glide over the list and my heart stops when I see the band that was supposed to play the second Thursday of the month.

"The Essie Davis Band?" I gasp out loud and Tinsley looks to me and nods, "Oh yeah, I liked her. I booked that one only last week. I should give you the demo she sent in; it was amazin'."

My stomach is suddenly sour and I can't believe Essie Davis was supposed to come down here and play at the winery. I couldn't imagine how well that would have gone over with Ryan. My focus is still on the calendar as I ask Tinsley, "Was her band from Nashville? Or Tullahoma?"

She stops gazing at her own list to look at me.

"Yeah! She said Nashville, how'd ya know?"

I laugh and reply, "I think it's Ryan's ex-fiancée's band. Small world huh?"

"Ah, that would make sense. She said she started looking in the area after friends of her mentioned our town."

My eye twitches as I think of how she managed to track Ryan down. And why? They did not leave on the best of terms.

Tinsley lets out her signature giggle after I seethe in silence for a moment and says, "I'm thinkin' you want me to call and cancel that one?"

I nod and she giggles again. I hear my phone start ringing in my back pocket and see that it's Arthur. I spin around and walk toward the back of the bar as I answer.

"Mr. Huxley, thanks for calling me back."

"Sure thing Ms. Sweeney. Your message said you needed a list of the donors from the fundraiser?"

I step onto a tall bar stool and take a seat at a pub table as I reply, "Yes, I was putting together the guest list and I thought I should invite all the donors from the fundraiser. I know Poppy was in charge of all that, but I was hoping you had a copy?"

"Afraid I never got anything from Poppy in regards to that my dear," he says and I am surprised.

"You don't have a record of who participated in the silent auction or the men that bought dates?" I ask.

"Poppy may have had that information, but I never received it," he answers.

"You would have had to deposit the checks though, right? Wouldn't there be a record of who wrote those out?" I ask him and his tone suddenly goes a shade darker.

"Most of the men that participated paid in cash dear. I deposited a bundle of cash, not separate checks from specific people."

Who pays in cash anymore? I swear Austin Venmo'd Poppy the money he paid for Margot. I wonder if I can see her Venmo transactions or if I can remember which girl's left with which boys.

I sigh as I reply, "I guess I will have to go off memory then. If any kind of list or record shows up, will you let me know? I would hate to forget to invite someone that donated to the restoration funds."

"Will do dear. Is that all?" He asks and I can tell he wants to get off the phone with me. He's no longer the polite older man that sat frowning in the corner. He's much more abrasive and I feel like I won't be wanting to call him any time soon. I figure I need to get out as much as I can now so I won't have to call him again.

"Not quite. I have scheduled the rentals but they need a deposit immediately. Can I come by and grab a check from you?" I ask and he grunts before answering, "I'll be at the club tomorrow. Meet me there around nine and I'll get you a check. How much am I writing it out for?"

"Four hundred dollars," I reply and he says, "Fine, fine. Is that all then Ms. Sweeney?"

"Yes, thank you and I'll see you tomorrow," I reply. I click off the phone and look at it while I think of Arthur's surprising mood swing. I see him in a totally different light now.

I shake it off and swing back around to face the front of the bar. I hear Tinsley apologizing to a band she's canceling and she sounds sincere about it. I know this place was a second home to her. I feel like it was a second home for all us employees. It was a nice escape where you saw friendly faces and always had a good time while you were here.

An idea suddenly comes to me and I let it stew around in my brain for a moment. I glance to the dark stage that sits in the corner of the bar and the microphone stand sits alone in the center. The stage lights are unplugged above it and I think about all the fun times Annabeth, Whitney and I had dancing to the live music performed in that corner. My eyes glance around to all of the empty pub tables and over to the stacks of clean wine glasses, shoved neatly into crates on top of the back bar. I exhale a sad sigh before hopping off the stool. I stride back to the front of the bar and grab the band list from the hostess stand. As Tinsley hangs up, I look to her and say, "I have to take care of something, so I gotta go. But I'll call these bands for you!"

She smiles as she waves to me and I push out the winery door with my hand that's clutching the list. My heart is beating furiously in my chest and for once, I am excited to see my momma twice in one day.