White Knight

As soon as I get up to Ryan's room, he yanks my clothes off and tosses me onto his bed. I hardly got to say hi to him before his lips were on mine.

After enjoying each other under the covers, we lay there catching our breath as I say, "Somebody missed me."

He rolls onto his side and looks at me as he says, "I have missed you. I've barely seen you this past week."

I trace a finger along the edge of his face as I say, "I know, for once we've both been busy."

"How's the party stuff coming?" He asks and I sigh, "I'm still waiting for a final number of guests but other than that, it's pretty much done."

"Did you find a dress with A.B today?"

"I did. And I found you a matching tie."

He looks about as excited as I thought he'd be. I found a nice silk tie with just a thin stripe of the same color red so it will still look classy, but not too matchy-matchy. I smile as I say, "But actually, I heard something while I was at the store that I thought might interest you."

He raises an eyebrow and says, "Go on."

"I ran into Tinsley and she said that the Penderghasts owed sixty-thousand dollars in back taxes. Which happens to be right around the same amount that Arthur Huxley possibly weaseled out of the Historical Society. So maybe Poppy blackmailed Arthur into giving her the stolen money?" I suggest and Ryan frowns. I shake my head, "What? I thought that was interesting stuff."

"You shouldn't be sleuthing around," he says as he rolls onto his back. I pop my elbow up and rest my head on my hand. Looking down onto Ryan, I say, "I wasn't sleuthing around. Tinsley just told me when I asked about the winery selling."

"Alright, well thanks for telling me," he says but the way he said it makes me frown.

"You already knew, didn't you?" I ask and he looks to me before nodding his head. I snap my fingers, "Damn! I thought I had something good there."

He grins and pulls me into him. I rest my head against his chest as he says, "It's good information. Just know we already have worked a few things out that you don't need to worry about."

"It's Arthur, isn't it? It all makes sense. He was skimming off the top of the funds and Poppy caught on. She blackmailed him into giving her the stolen funds to help her family and he whacked her. He was a golf pro, so he had access to the club after hours. It all makes sense," I ramble out but Ryan stays silent. I know I'm right. It's the only thing that makes sense. It's the only person who makes sense. I prop myself up on my elbow again and look at him, "Can you just tell me if I am kinda right? I won't tell a soul."

He locks eyes with me as he answers, "Just know we are getting the last piece of the puzzle sometime this week. We think we have everything else we need to make an arrest."

I narrow my eyes at him but it only makes him laugh. I'm surprised we've managed to be in his room together this long with neither of our phones ringing or something or someone pulling us back to reality. I am enjoying being locked away with him and am trying to soak up the moment. I also know that's all I am going to get out of him about Poppy so I change the subject.

"How was Sir Theo Rigsby's private party last night?"

He laughs my favorite loud laugh and I swoon. He looks to me and says, "I rather enjoyed myself actually. I will probably go to the next one."

I swat my hand at him.

"Tell me more than that. Who was there? What did you do? Who did you see?"