Themes

I sluggishly walk into the foyer and dump my purse loudly on the small table that sits next to the door. Within seconds, my momma comes gliding down the hallway with her arms stretched out, delighted to see me.

"Sawyer, my dear. I have already begun setting up in the kitchen. I have Ms. Celia making us some fresh lemonade and we can get to work," she says sweetly. It's like I have invited a whole new pleasant side of my mother out to play. She's smiling brightly and she doesn't even make a nasty remark about me being in the same clothing I was in when I left the house yesterday.

"Let me change and then the teeth pulling can begin," I reply and her classic scowl returns.

"Don't ruin this for me, darling," she says flatly before spinning on her heel and striding back down the hallway and into the kitchen. I start up the stairs and I am just about at the top of the banister when my phone rings. I see it's Arthur returning my call so I quickly answer, "Hello."

"Why hello there, Sawyer. This is Arthur Huxley returning your phone call," he says in his shaky old man voice. I continue into my room as I reply, "Yes, hi, thank you. I was just calling because Mrs. Breeland told me to continue with planning the reopening party. She said to get in touch with you to discuss the budget and to get the payment info from you."

I'm using my obnoxious, higher-octave voice that I only use when speaking with fancy folk. Mama would be proud.

"Yes, Poppy and I had previously agreed upon a budget of three thousand dollars. Now, the society doesn't have much to spare after all the restoration expenses, so anything over three thousand will have to come from your own funds, you understand dear?" He says and both Lucy and Poppy warned me he was a strict accountant.

"I will do everything I can to stay on budget. Now, what is the best way to access the society's funds?" I ask and he quickly replies, "You can go ahead and run everything through me. I can write out any necessary checks."

I frown knowing what a pain that will be. I won't be able to buy or reserve anything until I get the money from Arthur. I roll my eyes as I ask, "Isn't there a way to just access the funds through a debit or credit card or you can give me a few of the checks?"

He clicks his tongue before saying, "I'd rather you run everything through me, Ms. Sweeney. Now, don't take this the wrong way, but it's easier to stay on budget if I am cutting the checks than to send you off to gallivant around town with blank checks provided by the society you see?"

He clearly doesn't trust me with blank checks or a credit card. This is rather annoying seeing that I am clearly in a position to not take advantage of the Historical Society. He can't think I am going to scam the fundraiser funds.

"Okay, well then I guess I will start calling around and once I have things in place, I will call you for the go-ahead. Thanks for calling me back Mr. Huxley," I say politely, my voice still slightly shrill.

"We'll talk soon then. Good day, Ms. Sweeney." I hear the phone click off and roll my eyes. I have a feeling I will have to twist that man's arm anytime I want access to the society's bank account.

I shower quickly and find my mother sprawling papers around the wooden kitchen table. Her long white cardigan flows behind her as she moves around the table and when she spots me, she asks, "Now first things first, what is your budget?"

I slide out a chair and as I drop into it, I reply, "Arthur just told me three thousand dollars." My mother looks like I just told her Wade's Bakery burned down. Her hand flies up to her chest in horror as she replies, "We are planning a sophisticated grand reopening, not a hootenanny!"

I shrug.

"Will that not be enough?" I ask her and she immediately shakes her head.

"I usually allot that for the catering budget alone!"