Party Planning Committee

I hear the knobs of the shower turn and I stretch out in the empty bed. Ryan said he was going to meet up with Detective Connor again so he had to rise and shine at an ungodly hour.

The sun is just now peeking into his window and instead of rolling back over and going back to sleep, I take this opportunity to dash over to Austin's room to see if he came home last night.

I am disappointed when I swing his door open and find his room untouched. I was hoping to be here to laugh at him when he has a minor heart attack over A.B's stupid joke.

I stride back into Ryan's room and am tucking myself back into the sheets when Ryan pulls the bathroom door open. A burst of steam that smells like aftershaves pours into the small room and Ryan comes walking out, tying a white fluffy towel around his waist.

"I didn't mean to wake you," he says as he pulls open the drawers to his dresser. I watch as he pulls out a pair of dark jeans and a navy crew neck. I more than enjoy watching him get dressed and I am finding it very hard not to leap into his arms and rip his fresh clothes off. I let out a whine as he pulls on a thin plaid shirt and he looks at me.

"We need to have our third date tonight." I tell him. "I really can't wait any longer to have you."

He's clasping his watch onto his wrist when he says, "If I get off early enough, I'd love to take you out."

I smile as butterflies swarm around my stomach. The first time we slept together was so spontaneous that I didn't have much time to think. But now that it's a bit more planned, I can maybe put a bit more thought into my undergarments.

I catch his eye as he stands at the closed door and say, "I'm supposed to work tonight, but I'm not sure if we are open yet. I was going to call Tinsley later and see if I am needed."

Ryan nods.

"Let me know. If you do, I'll pick ya up after work."

He crosses the small room and leans down to plant a kiss on my forehead. I gaze into his bright green eyes as he swipes his thumb across my cheek before pulling away from me. As he is opening his door he says, "Love you. Behave yourself today."

"No promises," I shout back and I hear his heavy steps flounce down the staircase. I exhale loudly as I ponder what to do with myself today. I am about to roll over and go back to sleep when I hear my phone start buzzing on Ryan's dresser.

I quickly pull myself off the bed and snatch my phone up. I see it's Lucy Breeland calling so I quickly answer.

"Good morning Ms. Lucy!" I try and say cheerily and she quickly responds, "Why good morning, Sawyer. I wasn't too sure if you'd be up this early but I thought I'd try and get a hold of you before you got busy with your day."

I slowly stride back over to the corner of the unmade bed and as I plop down, I ask, "Oh why? What's up?"

I hear her clanking something around in the background as she answers, "Well I was just calling because there are a few Historical Society matters I wanted to discuss with you."

"Oh? I am all ears," I reply and Lucy keeps her tone light and cheery.

"Now, we are all shocked by Poppy's death and I am not trying to come across as insensitive. However, we have had different maintenance crews scheduled throughout the month at the Wellington House and it will cost us to cancel or postpone."

Even though she can't see me, I nod eagerly before replying, "Of course. I was just at the house a few days ago and saw that progress has been made in the garden."

"Yes, this week and next week we were supposed to have the flooring crew come in as well as the people that were going to refurbish all the woodwork along the banisters. As president now, I am in charge of overseeing all of the work. Which is why I wanted to reach out to everyone and get the go ahead to continue. However, if you feel that we need to take a break from the restoration, I will completely understand and call all the vendors and tell them to hold off."

I bite my lip as I think about the ramifications of stopping the work. I decide to reply, "The house has already been torn apart and since it's of such historical significance it's almost a shame to leave it in such disarray. It was Poppy's project and I think she'd think it was disrespectful to have it sit in shambles."

"I agree with you, I just didn't want to come across as callous or insensitive. Arthur Huxley and Bonnie Pemberley gave me the go ahead as well. I still have to contact a few others as well as the Hemmings, the Samuels and Lulabelle."

I nod again as I say, "If you need me to call Nancy or John Walthorp let me know. I'd be happy to help."

"Well, that was the other thing I needed to discuss with you my dear. Poppy had wanted to have a big grand reopening of the Wellington House when it's completed in a couple weeks. Is having a party the right thing to do?"

I bite my lip again as I chew on her words. I'm sure the Penderghasts wouldn't mind an opening thrown in their daughter's honor. She was after all, the person that set up the entire restoration project. I sigh before answering.

"I think we should put in a memorial for Poppy. Dedicate the garden to her or something. I think we should throw the grand opening in her honor."

"Maybe refrain from using the word party?" Lucy asks and I reply, "Yes. We could do a moment of silence or reveal the garden in a way that honors Poppy? We could have it be a classy reopening."

"Okay, then I will leave the opening to you then, Sawyer. You are still up to it right?"

It's not like I have anything better to do and Poppy announced my participation at the last brunch. I think it would be insensitive for me to back out.

"Yes, of course. Just give me the date and I'll take care of the rest."

"Great. You'll have to get with Arthur when it comes to the budget but he'll give you the proper checks and credit cards to use. He's a bit of a stickler when it comes to the budget so try and spend within your means. It took us about a month to plan the fundraiser so I'd say the sooner you get started, the better."

"Will do. I'll get in touch with him and start planning away!"

"Thanks, Sawyer. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask."

"Talk to you soon Ms. Lucy. Have a good day," I say cheerily before I click my phone shut. I release a long sigh as I think about planning a fancy shindig in Poppy's honor. I will need to take the task seriously and not screw up a project that was so near and dear to her.

I start to mildly panic as I think about planning something this big and serious. As much as I don't want to, I know there is only one person that has experience throwing a gathering of this magnitude that can help me.

I release a long sigh before picking up my phone and calling my momma.