Lucky

Over the next week, I spend all of my time running around Hollis to pick out the flowers, linens, and the decor and I also finalize the menu. Momma felt the need to be with me every step of the way but she insisted that I "make the decisions on my own"- even though she argued with me about everything every step of the way.

On Thursday, I sent Arthur an itemized list of things purchased for the party and let Lucy know that almost everything was planned. I was still waiting to hear back on RSVPs but I had many verbal confirmations when I saw guests while running my errands.

I reminded Austin that he had a week to decide on his plans for Margot's proposal but he kept insisting that he planned to just pop the question when he felt the moment was right. Momma told him he needed a violinist to play during the moment and we needed to prepare a perfect spot in the garden for it. She demanded that we throw nets of twinkle lights over all of the bushes to give the garden a romantic glow- but of course, the final decision was mine.

I spoke with Betty and Scarlett about lighting the bushes and they were over the moon that we were trying to plan a proposal in the gardens. They said they had purchased a lovely white iron bench for Poppy's memorial and it would look beautiful when photographers snapped pictures of Margot and Austin.

I told Austin he needed to pop the question in front of the white bench with the bushes covered in white twinkle lights. He rolled his eyes and reminded me again, that he was going to propose whenever and wherever the moment took him.

On Friday, Ryan texted me to remind me that he and Austin were going to Theo Rigsby's cigar club that night. I had completely forgotten about the invite and told him to go enjoy the fabulous side of high society. I may have never been to the cigar club myself, but Jackson would always tell me how deliciously rich the scotch was and came home reeking of Cubans.

I decided to ask Annabeth to hang out since Gus was attending the club as well. She agreed and we decided to meet up at Mel's.

I spot her sitting in one of the booths against the back wall and I push through the Friday night crowd to get to her. Keith Urban is blaring around the bar and the pool tables being completely full adds to the noisy ambiance. She smiles when she sees me and I quickly drop into the booth across from her.

"Happy girls' night!" She laughs and I spot her cupping a ginger ale. I look to her drink of choice and say, "If you aren't drinking that means you got everything confirmed."

"Gus and I went to the doctor today. Our due date is next May."

I catch the tears pooling in her eyes but I can't tell if they are happy or sad tears. I reach out to grab her hand and say, "Congratulations! How do you feel?"

She shrugs and her eyes gaze upwards.

"I don't know Sawyer. On one hand, I've known Gus for years and I'll know he'll be a fantastic dad. But on the other, he and I have only been together a little over a month. This is huge."

I know Gus will step up and give Annabeth and the baby the world. But I'm sure she never pictured herself pregnant and not married.

I ask, "How will your parents take it?"

She immediately avoids my gaze and I know the Matthews won't be pleased. I know they'll be thrilled the baby will be a Blackwood, but they'll frown upon having the baby out of wedlock.

"Maybe you and Gus can go elope? Get married before the baby news spreads?" I tell her. Although if Molly and Margot Hamilton both know, then the baby news is going to hit the Matthews faster than they could get eloped. Everyone will know it's a shotgun wedding.