Voicemail

After Gus left me on the driveway, I buried myself in my room and turned my phone off. People started ringing me about whether or not they were coming to the party and I couldn't deal with that right now. I didn't want to talk to Ryan about what happened and I certainly couldn't tell Annabeth. Austin would just tell me to shake it off and Momma would just roll her eyes.

I pull my comforter up to my tear-stained face and frown when I see I got mascara all over it. I continue to hold it tightly against me and I replay Gus's words over and over until the sun goes down.

I don't know why I have never fallen for Gus. I have never seen him as an option and I don't know why. He is the greatest guy I know but for some reason, I have never been attracted to him in that way. I thought he and Annabeth would go so well together and I really thought they were smitten. They seemed to be into each other and always looked so lovey-dovey on dates and whenever else I saw them together. Maybe the pregnancy was just too much for them so soon. Maybe the reality of things got them thinking about their lives as a whole.

That's the only reason I can think of why Gus would say something now. He could have come to me so many times over the years and he chooses now to do it- although, my answer would have always been the same. It was only a matter of time before I crushed his heart and soul I guess. Ugh I'm awful.

And, he said after he spoke to Ryan, he figured he had to tell me his feelings. What did Ryan say to him? Ryan said Gus had wanted to make sure he was serious about me. Maybe Ryan told Gus he was also going to propose sometime soon. Is Ryan thinking of proposing? I love him to pieces but even I think three months is still too soon to be hoping for a ring.

I sigh and force myself to stop crying. I roll over and pull myself to the other end of my bed. I whip my nightstand drawer open and smile when I see Celia restocked my stash for me. I immediately dive into the fine Chardonnay as I try and think of anything other than me crushing Gus's heart.

I flop back against my plush pillow and take another swig from the bottle. It's been a while since I drank up here alone in my room and I realize I don't have to be drinkin' all alone up here. Isn't right now the reason to have a boyfriend? Someone to come and cheer you up and wipe your tears away while you sob into their soft cotton v-neck? I didn't want to talk to Ryan about this, but now I realize that's what boyfriends are there for. I push myself off my bed and snatch my phone up off the floor.

I take a few more long swigs as I wait for my phone to turn on and after it does, I see several texts come in and then a missed voicemail from a number I don't recognize. Since my phone was off, I don't when it was left. I press play and then a chill snakes down my spine. A cryptic muffled voice says, "Tell anyone what you saw at the Wellington House and you'll be the next one buried."

I hold the phone in front of my face and am paralyzed with fear. The voice sounds like a computer so I have no idea if it was male or female. I listen to it again and after it finishes, I immediately call Ryan. His phone goes straight to voicemail and I start panicking. What did I see at the Wellington House? Who knows I was there?

I toss my phone onto my bed and after what happened with Simon and Kenny, I know better than to trust my phone. I don't want anyone knowing I am calling Ryan if I try him at the police station. I then realize there's someone else I can call.

I quickly snatch my phone back up and dial Austin's number. When he doesn't answer, I try Margot. She finally answers, but before she can even finish saying hello, I blurt out, "Are you with Austin?"

"Yeah, why?" She asks and I quickly say, "I need to talk to him, it's an emergency."

I hear her murmur something to Austin and when he comes on the line he says, "What?"