Chapter 8

When I wake up, and Aaron's gone. I'm led down on the couch with my duvet draped over me, I get up and check the time, realising that it's really early in the morning. I decide to get ready for the day ignoring the time, I shower, apply my makeup and get dressed in an attire that covers all my bruises and scars.

By the time I'm done and I check the time again it's opening time for the pub and Chas still isn't awake yet. Instead of waking her up I decide to open up the pub and start business for the day for her as she's being so good to me about everything. A tall giraffe like looking man enters shouting I'm sorry I'm late.

"Oh, hellooo." He says dragging the 'O' out. "Who are you?" He asks.

"Oh sorry how rude of me. I'm Kylie, I'm staying with Chas for a while and she's still asleep so I thought I'd open up for her. It's lovely to meet you, uh..."

"Marlon, I'm Marlon." He replies.

"It's nice to meet you Marlon." I say.

"You too. I'm the chef I'll go through and start up." He says. I serve a few coffees and serve a few breakfasts and have to answer some questions to locals about who I am before Chas comes down in her pyjamas worrying that she's late opening.

"Oh, we're open." She states.

"Yeh, I hope you don't mind you were sleeping so I thought I'd let you carry on and open up for you."

"I don't mind at all, maybe I'll have to give you some shifts." She laughs jokingly at her comment.

"No, I'd actually like that. As long as I'm here I should earn the roof over my head and the food on the table, I mean I'll need to after, well you know so why not start now?" I say.

"I was joking, you don't need to do that."

"No, I want to." I say.

"Okay sure, your not legally allowed to serve drinks as your under age but I'm sure a few a day won't matter." She winks at me. I laugh and take someone else's order.

By the end of the day I'm absolutely knackered but that doesn't stop me from going out with a few crisp notes in my hand to find Aaron. I had tried to refuse the money from Chas but she insisted and promised it wouldn't be a daily or weekly thing. Half my payment will be living in the house and getting food and the other half will be money. I'm intending on saving all the money up for baby equipment and items and also for after the babies born so I cam support myself but today I'm going to spend my first wage.

I walk to the scrapyard and open up the door. Aaron and his work partner are sat at small desks doing paper work, they both look up when I open the door. "Uh, hi. Aaron I just wondered if you want to grab something to eat, it's on me." I say.

"Yeh sure." He says standing up and taking off his high vis jacket before following me outside. We walk to his car and jump in before starting off. "What do you fancy eating?" He asks.

"I don't really mind, surprise me." While we drive he asks me questions about me and what I like to do.

"So, you like to walk by rivers in the moonlight, run and sleep. What else do you like?" He asks.

"I don't know, I like to read and escape the world I'm living in and go to somewhere new or live someone else's life. I like to distract myself by keeping busy or talking to people, working and concentrating on things. I like to go shopping as well. What about you? Silent and mysterious that's all I get from you apart from we know each other's biggest secrets."

We carry on talking about each other and life and random things, while we eat and drive and then walk by the river with the moon shining brightly on both of us.