[Book 2] Chapter 33

Back from my holidays! It's summer time for the British! I have inspiration! I want this book finished in the next two weeks cause we're almost there!!

[Payton's POV]

'Tell me Payton... I know this might be a stupid question... but are you afraid of dying? Do you feel like you have a lot more that you need to do?'

I looked to Daryl as he pulled an arrow into his bow and stared at me intently.

I ran my fingers through my newly thrown up hair, careful not to pull to hard as the hairband itself was close to breaking. 'Fear death? Hmm... I dunno.'

'Well... Do you feel complete here on earth? Would you be happy to die at any time?'

'Umm... Of course not.' I shrugged. 'We've had it hard since this whole thing started and I think that's unfair, however, there's nothing I can do, so I except the cards I am given. Was that the answer you were looking for?'

'I guess... I mean, I wasn't really looking for a specific answer, I was just curious is all.' Daryl stepped up beside me and the two of us marched of the bus where the rest of the men waited impatiently, fiddling with their weapons in their hands and snapped and cursing at each other repeatidly.

'What about you?' I asked after several minutes passed and no one in the group stepped up to lead us on. 'Do you fear death?'

Daryl chuckled. 'I feel the same way as you do... However, I don't want to die just yet... I've commited terrible crimes, Payton, even on you, and I would like to spend the rest of my days making up for it. It's only the forgiveness of you that I need, I couldn't care less if our lord and brother Paul hated me, or if god thought I was vermon. Your opinion is the only one I care about. Yours and my family.'

'You are such a sap.' I chuckled, holding the back of my neck as I twisted it until it clicked. 'I know all I ever talk about now is remember this, remember that but once upon a time, you... Well you were a dick... Probably still are.'

'Watch it!' Daryl pointed his finger at me as he laughed. 'I can still break a few bones and cause a few bruises.'

'More like cry when you break the stem of a flower.' I smiled, leaning in closer to his ear. 'Too bad... I'd break a thousand flowers beneath me with you on top.'

'Steady on, girl.' Daryl laughed. 'Damn, where's the frigid girl I fell in love with?'

'Implying that you don't love this more confident girl.' I whimpered, faking hurt. I stared down at my feet and trudged away as I suddenly heard the men outside the bus.

Daryl and I made our way out the bus, Daryl wrapped his arm around my waist and squeezed my hip before quickly removing it as we left the bus and joined the rest of the group, one or two men turned to us in confusion but as Daryl and I slung on our angry faces they rolled their eyes thinking that they were in on the big secret before listening in on today's hunting leader.

'-I don't want any funny business men, do you hear?' The man upfront called, he was tall and muscular, his legs were wrapped in tight, camo trousers with big leather boots that looked slightly feminine since they reached his knee then on his top half was a leather jacket, similar to Daryl's but it was more ripped, dirtier and clearly hadn't been cared for as it looked like worn out, old leather.

'Aye, sir!' I cheered with the rest of the men. 

The man upfront, the leader of the whole ordeal stared towards me and frowned at me when I smiled genuinly kindly at him.

The men began to break away and head towards the building to the left of us, I watched the leader step of his podium and walk my way.

'Payton isn't he?' He spoke when he reached me, his hands were tight around his back and he held his posture high, if I wasn't mistaken I would say this guy was in the military before the apocalypse, maybe a general or something because of his body language.