Chapter 28

"Do they have to beblack?"

"Yes."

"Aw, Mum, can't I have blue?"

"No."

"But, like, a really dark blue. Withsilver."

"No."

"Pleeeeease?"

"No."

I sigh and let the seamstress keepfitting my dress robes. They're black with long, loose sleeves, anopen neckline and a lace bodice. I would be thrilled with the fit ifonly it could have been in a different colour. Angelina, Georgiana,Alicia and I have been writing to each other talking about our dressrobes. Angelina is getting red, Georgiana is getting a peachy colourand Alicia is getting pale blue. And I am getting black. Becauseheaven forbid a vampire been seen in anything other than black.

"Aurelia, when are you going to startembracing who you are?" Mum demands.

"Mum, I'm not meant to tell anyone atschool what I am," I point out, "so shouldn't I be trying alittle harder to cover it up?"

Mum makes a noise in the back of herthroat and goes back to examining the jewellery. I cringe when shepauses at the collars.

"Mum, no," I plead, "at least letme have normal jewellery."

Mum tsks at me, frowning.

"You'd look perfect if you'd only letme dress you," she says, "honestly, sometimes I wonder if you'drather be human."

The seamstress makes a low hissingnoise, baring her fangs. I roll my eyes.

"Would that really be so bad?" Iask, "Dad used to be human and you liked him."

"Yes, but it was always agreed thatwhen the time came he would become a vampire," Mum says casually,"which is why George should know what you are..."

"We are not, let me repeat, notturning George," I snap, "he is perfect just the way he- Ow!"

I flinch as the seamstress pokes mewith a pin. A drop of blood spills from the skin on my ankle beforemy body quickly heals itself. I grit my teeth and refuse to sayanother word until we get home.

The first of September rolls around andI spend the day packing, waiting anxiously for Dad to wake up anddrop me at the station before he goes to work. I stand at the windowin my bedroom, looking out at the valley. My bedroom is in one of thetallest towers and I can see for miles. Well, I could if there wasn'tsuch a heavy down pour. It's been like this all day, but despite theweather, I feel full of life and so, so happy. Today I will be ableto see Alicia, Georgiana and Angelina again. But even better, I'll beable to see George. And hopefully, I can leave the mess of last yearbehind me and start new.

I change into my robes and walkdownstairs. There's still a couple of hours until we need to go, buttime seems to be moving more slowly than usual. When I reachdownstairs there's a flurry of activity in the foyer.

"Mum? Dad? What's going on?" I ask.They're never up this early unless there's an emergency. I lookaround in confusion, they're attaching my trunk to the back of abroom and pulling on their travelling coats.

"It's Nona," Mum says, pulling ahood over her head, "darling, you'll have to fly to school, I'm sosorry."

"Is Nona okay?" I ask, worried.

"She'll be fine," Mum says, "justsome angry villagers and Dida is away."

"But Mum, it's pouring out there,"I say, "and it'll take ages to fly to school!"