Chapter 41

I crumple up George's latest letter and throw it at the wall. Words cannot express the level of frustration I have with him at the moment. After promising to visit over the summer, he's now "unable" to even meet in Diagon Alley for a coffee. But he won't tell me why. Oh no. It's all secrecy and "I'll fill you in later".

It's making me feel destructive and violent. Which is not particularly nice. I huff and pace my room for a few minutes before picking up his letter and reading it again.

"UGH!" I throw it at the wall and stalk out of my room, slamming the door. I'm in half a mind to go find him now and demand answers.

"AURELIA!"

My father comes stomping down the stairs after me.

"Do you HAVE to make such a racket?" he demands, "SOME of us are trying to SLEEP!"

"Sorry," I snap, "but in case you haven't noticed, the world is going to shit!"

I throw the just delivered edition of the Daily Prophet at him. It has a picture of Dumbledore emblazoned across it, saying he's been stripped of his ranks. My father glances over it briefly, then sighs.

"I know this is worrying," he says, "but Dumbledore just puts his trust too much in that Potter boy. You-Know-Who isn't back and Dumbledore isn't going mad. That happened a long, long time ago."

I sigh and sink down onto the sofa.

"I'm just really worried," I say, "George is being really distant and he promised he'd visit..."

"Well, I told his father we'd have their family over for dinner," Dad says, "maybe it's time we invite them."

I look at Dad apprehensively.

"I don't think this is the best time to tell him what we are," I say. Dad closes his eyes and sighs.

"Fine," he says, "we'll humanise the house and meal. I'll send them a note in the evening. Now, can I get back to sleep?"

"Sure," I nod. I follow him upstairs and go into my room to send George a note to prepare him.

This is a really big thing for my parents, we never have guests unless they're family. I write, I hope I'll see you soon and we can talk.

I send the note off and sit down to read a book, feeling slightly calmer.

We get a reply from the Weasleys a few days later accepting the invitation for a week's time. I spend all day every day leading up trying to make sure there's not a hint of vampirism in the house. The library was so crowded with books on it that I decided it would be easier just to lock the door and hide the key until the night was safely over. Despite everything, I couldn't quite feel excited about the night. Not nervous, either. Just looking forward to yelling at George. Talking to! Talking to George.

Finally the day arrived. Mum and Dad got up a few hours early to oversee the decorating and cooking.

"Aurelia, isn't it time you got dressed?" Mum asks, coming downstairs to where I'm fidgeting with flower arrangements.

"I am dressed!" I say, looking down at my robes, "what's wrong with this?"

"Oh, nothing," Mother says quickly, "you look lovely."

I sigh and stomp upstairs to change. I hear the doorbell and nearly trip over our cat in my haste to get downstairs. I skid to a halt next to Mum just as Dad opens the door.

"Come in," he says grandly, "welcome."

"Thank you," Mr Weasley says, "I don't believe you've met my wife, Molly."