Chapter 12

I stare up at our house. Well, I use the term 'house' loosely. It's actually a castle. Exactly the kind of castle you would expect vampires to live in. High turrets, creepy looking gargoyles, bats fluttering around, the whole kit and kaboodal. Mum and Dad walk into the castle, their cloaks swirling behind them. I sigh and follow them. They snap their fingers and one of our house elves appears and takes my bag up stairs.

“Aurelia, go and get changed into something more acceptable, then we'll have refreshments,” Mum says. I trail up stairs to my room and step inside. The walls are dark grey with black carpet and drapes and a white ceiling. My windows look out over the valley. It's white and grey right now. Just like everything here – black, white and gray.

I walk over to my wardrobe and open it. It's full of long cloaks and other vampirey stuff. Most of it isn't too bad, just a little extravagant. I change into some tights, a black dress and a cloak. Surprisingly, the castle is never cold or draughty, like so many of these creepy castles are. There are lots of big fire places and the air is always warm. I walk downstairs into the sitting room. One wall is made of glass and it looks out over the mountains. Mum and Dad are sitting in big chairs, looking out at the view. I join them and a house elf appears with a tray of glasses, full of blood.

That's one of the things about being home – we only drink blood. No human food. I take a glass of blood and take a big sip.

“Now, about this boy,” Dad says, “I don't like the look of him.”

“You were fine with it before!” I exclaim. Dad opens his mouth to retort, but Mum holds her hand up.

“When you first told us you were dating a Weasley, we thought you meant the one in seventh year,” Mum explains.

“So?” I say, “what does it matter?”

“Well, that one isn't exactly attractive,” Mum says, “while the one you're dating-”

“George,” I interject.

“George,” Mum echoes, “is very attractive.”

“So, you don't want me dating someone who I might be attracted to?” I say, “really? That's weird.”

“It's dangerous!” Dad explodes, “you're putting yourself and him at risk!”

“I know!” I snap, “I know! Can we not talk about this right now? We have all the holidays for you to ruin my life, let's leave that until tomorrow.”

Mum and Dad exchange a look.

“Well, what do you want to talk about?” Dad asks peevishly. I shake my head, then stop.

“I want to get my ears pierced,” I tell them. Mum looks at me, surprised.

“Why?” she asks, “you've never wanted them done before.”

“I just do,” I tell her, “maybe for my birthday or something.”

“Well, I suppose, if you want them done,” Mum says, “we'll arrange it. Now, we also have to talk about your work experience. Are you sure you want to do it with Mr Weasley? It's not too late to change your mind.”

I bite my lip. Will it be weird? Awkward? Will he know I'm dating George?

“No, I want to do it there,” I answer. Dad rolls his eyes. Mum flaps a hand at him.

“The whole point of this work experience is to put her ahead!” Dad says, “if she does it in Arthur's department-”

“We agreed she would choose, Stephan,” Mum snaps, “she's made her choice. Now, you start first thing on Monday morning. Dad will take you in and pick you up in the evenings, okay?”