Chapter 8

I wake up in the morning and smile to myself. I can hear the other girls stirring and push the curtains back. I stand up and stretch. I kicked George's pants off in the night, but I'm still wearing his jumper. It's all warm and cuddly. I wish I could stay in it.

I fish around for my school clothes, but I can't find any of my skirts or pants. I straighten up, thinking. I wouldn't have sent them off to be washed all at once and I'm sure I put my skirt in my cupboard last night.

“Lost something?” Chrissie asks, flouncing past. She glances at my jumper and her eyes widen, then she smirks.

“Maybe you can borrow a skirt off George,” she says.

“What've you done with them?” I ask. She rolls her eyes.

“Like I'd tell you, freak,” she says nastily, “why don't you figure it out?”

She walks out with Jessica, leaving me alone. I sit down on my bed. I can't go to classes without my uniform on. I open my cupboard and for once I'm grateful that my parents make me wear only black. I pull on a pair of jeans. They're skinny jeans, but they'll have to do. I put on my shirt, robes and shoes and look in the mirror. It doesn't look too bad. Probably no one will notice.

I grab my bag and hurry out. I look at my watch. I won't make breakfast on time, I might as well just go to Defence.

“You're early,” Lupin says as I walk in and take my seat.

“Had a wardrobe malfunction,” I say, “didn't have time to go all the way to breakfast.”

Lupin frowns at me.

“You shouldn't skip meals,” he says. I shrug.

“My body's still acting like I'm asleep,” I say, “it doesn't matter.”

He opens his mouth to say something, but the bell rings and the rest of the class starts filing in. George comes straight over and sits next to me.

“You weren't at breakfast,” he says, “what ha-”

“George, move over here,” Lupin calls.

“Sir, you hadn't started yet!” George protests.

“Now.”

George sighs and moves across the classroom. I lean my hand on my cheek. Today has not had a good start.

“Aurelia, stay behind for a moment, please,” Lupin calls as the bell rings. I groan.

“Move along, Mr Weasley,” Lupin calls out the door. He walks over and stands by my desk.

“When you skip meals you put everyone at risk,” he says, “I know you have remarkable self-control, but you're going through changes right now, and that can make your 'appetite' unpredictable. Especially when you throw teenage hormones into the mix.”

I look up at him, startled. He looks serious.

“I spoke with your parents before they spoke with you,” he says, “you need to be careful around George, for his sake and yours. You're dangerous to him right now. Skipping meals and then sitting next to a perfectly good meal is not a wise move. Understand?”

“Yes, sir,” I nod.

“Good,” he says, “what've you got now? I'd better write you a note.”

“Transfiguration,” I say. He scribbles a quick note and hands it to me.

“Better hurry,” he says.

I hurry up the stairs and slip into the classroom. McGonagall looks at me over her glasses. I hand her the note and go over to sit beside George.

“Miss Dunmore, sit here,” McGonagall says, motioning to the seat in front of her desk where she usually puts trouble makers, i.e. Fred and George. I stare at her, shocked. I was only a couple of minutes late!