Chapter 35

The week before Christmas the whole school is buzzing about the Yule Ball. Those who don't have dates are searching desperately for someone, those who do are planning their outfits. And I am spending my days helping Georgiana avoid Fred and Angelina, which unfortunately means that I haven't been able to see George.

"I can't believe he would do this!" Georgiana shouts, in one of her mood swings from grief to anger.

"They're just going as friends," I say soothingly.

"Bull!" she yells, "I should have known! He dumped me for her!"

"No, he didn't," I say patiently, "they're just friends. Just like Lee and Alicia."

"This is the worst!" she says, her mood settling back into sadness. She flops down beside me and bursts into tears. I stroke her hair back.

"Look, maybe you should go home for the holidays," I suggest gently. She looks up at me, betrayed.

"You want me gone too!" she cries hysterically, "I should have known, I-"

I slap her.

"Georgiana, don't be ridiculous!" I snap, then breathe, "I don't want you gone, I just think that maybe some distance would help you. Go home, be with your family, just take some time out."

Georgiana sighs and wipes her eyes.

"You're probably right," she says, "I'm sorry, I know I've been a bother. I just... I guess I took it pretty hard."

"It's okay," I tell her gently, "breakups are hard. I just think that being stuck in the castle with him 24/7 isn't helping."

"I'll go see Flitwick and sign up for the train tomorrow," she says decidedly.

"Do you want me to come?" I offer. She shakes her head.

"You should go and see George," she says, "I know I've been keeping you from him."

We walk down from the tower and part at the sixth floor. I head over to Gryffindor tower, feeling excited, but a little nervous. I give the password, but the portrait shakes her head.

"That's the old password," she says, "we've got a new one!"

I swear under my breath and start walking back down the corridor.

"Aurelia!"

"Lee!" I grin as I see him coming down from the owlery.

"The new password is 'fairy lights'," he says. The portrait swings open and we climb into the Gryffindor common room. It feels good to be back here, but a quick glance around the room tells me that George isn't here. Fred, Alicia and Angelina are sitting by the fire, and Lee and I join them.

"How is she?" Fred asks immediately, looking anxious.

"She's okay," I say, "where's George?"

"Upstairs," Fred says, nodding to the dormitories, "having a nap."

I walk upstairs and into their dormitory. George is lying on his side, snoring softly. I lie on the bed behind him and wrap my arm over him, spooning him. He stirs slightly, mumbling. He rolls over, blinking blearily.

"Ari?" He murmurs.

"Hey," I say softly. He pulls me closer to him, nuzzling my neck.

"You're here," he says, sounding faintly surprised.

"Mmhmm, thought I'd visit," I say, "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too," he sighs, "am I dreaming?"