Chapter 57

The Christmas break goes quickly and far too soon George is taking us back to the airport again.

"This year is going to be torture," George says, holding me tightly.

"I know," I sigh tearfully.

"Ari, we've got to go," Tilly says softly. I kiss George hard, then hurry away, not looking back. Tilly passes me a tissue and lets me cry for a little while. Once we're on the plane I sigh and give myself a little shake.

"Don't worry, this year will pass so quickly," Tilly says. I nod, but don't trust myself to reply. Tilly puts her arm around me and pats my shoulder.

Tilly is right about time passing quickly. Before we know it we've been at the sanctuary for six months and are getting ready to pair up with our mentors. The night before Tilly is lying on my bed reading a letter while I sit at my desk and write to Georgiana.

"Who's that from?" I ask as she laughs again.

"Fred," she replies, "he's really funny."

I frown a little at her. From Georgiana's letters, things between her and Fred are still rough and I'm sure Tilly can't be helping. I don't know exactly how to bring it up, as I don't want to push her away.

"Tilly," I begin hesitantly. She sits up and shakes her head.

"I know what you're going to say," she says, "and it's not like that. He's like... Not a brother, but definitely just a friend. Here, read it."

She pushes the letter into my hands and I glance over it. It's full of talk about the shop and new ideas. There's nothing that hints at romance or anything like that. I pass it back.

"You don't..."

"Not like that," she laughs, "I think he's a top bloke, but not in that way."

"Okay," I say, feeling a little better. Tilly checks her watch and yawns.

"I'm going to hit the sack," she says, "see ya in the morning."

Once she's in bed I head out to hunt. I go a couple of times a week to small villages. I come back and clamber into bed.

The next morning the five of us are sitting together at breakfast, excited and nervous to meet our mentors. After breakfast we head into the communal area where Selena is waiting with five other people, Charlie Weasley included.

"Well, the time is here," Selena says with a smile, "these are your mentors, Joshua, Charlie, Kim, Tania and Ana. Andrei, you're with Ana, Lucas and Josh, Jennifer and Tania, Aurelia and Kim, and finally Tilly and Charlie."

"Yes!" Tilly high-fives Charlie.

"So, off you all go," Selena says, "good luck."

"Hey," Kim says, walking over and offering me her hand to shake, "I've heard you're good with the Welsh Greens, yeah?"

"Yeah, they seem to like me," I shrug, feeling a little shy. Kim grins at me.

"Great," she says, "let's get you good with all the others. We've got a Horntail with a retained eye cap, so it'll test you."

Retained eye caps are when a scale or piece of skin gets stuck over the eye of the dragon when it sheds. I follow her out, just behind Tilly and Charlie. We go to the right, while they go to the left and we walk down the path towards the Horntails.

"Have you ever dealt with one of these before?" Kim asks, pulling on her gloves.

"Only on the babies," I reply, following suit. Kim laughs.