Chapter 17

“It's looking better,” Mum says, peeling the dressing off my neck.

“Mum, I'm going to be late to class,” I say, “I still have to go and collect my books and uniform.”

“Professor Flitwick brought them down,” Mum says, “he brought your scarf too. I know you don't like wearing it, but it'll keep this covered.”

“It's healing really well,” Mum says, “if you were human, you'd be dead.”

“If I was human, I wouldn't have gotten stabbed,” I point out, “can I have a shower?”

“Sure,” Mum says, “as soon as you've finished your blood. I'll put the dressing on when you're done.”

I look at the glass of blood on the table and sigh. I am so sick of blood. I pick the glass up and drink is quickly, then go into the shower. Mum has laid my uniform out for me with a fluffy, white towel.

I get in the shower and turn the water on. It stings when it hits my neck. I wash myself quickly and climb out. I dry myself and wrap the towel around me, then go to the mirror. Feeling apprehensive, I wipe the steam off the mirror and look at my neck.

It's not as bad as I thought. The cut is about an inch long, only a few millimetres wide. There's a lot of bruising around it, mostly purple, but the edges are starting to yellow.

I get dressed and brush my hair into a ponytail. I walk back into the bedroom where Mum has her 'healer kit' set up. She dabs the lotion onto my neck, making me wince.

“There we go,” she says, taping the dressing on, “all done.”

I wrap my scarf around my neck and cringe. Scarves make me feel trapped, I don't like them. Mum hands me my bag of books.

“Come back down at lunch time,” she says, “you probably won't have time during break, right?”

I nod.

“Have a good day, sweetie,” Mum says.

“Bye,” I mutter.

The snow is deep as I trudge up to the castle. I wonder what happened to my broom. I realise I haven't told Mum and Dad what happened, but they haven't asked either. I don't want to have to explain to everyone, talking is uncomfortable, but I know George will want to know, the other Gryffindors and probably Georgiana will want to know too. I sigh deeply. I wish I could've stayed in bed.

I get out my timetable and look at Monday's classes. I don't have a class with George until fourth, right before lunch. Conceivably, I could avoid him today. Arrive at class late, leave early. I could do that tomorrow, and the next day, all week. Then I wouldn't have to talk. I could just skip classes altogether. My teachers would understand. I could just sneak up to Ravenclaw tower and go back to sleep.

I reach the steps leading into the castle and sigh deeply. I know that plan won't work. I remember how awful I felt when I thought he was avoiding me, I don't want to make him feel like that. I'll just feed him the story Mum came up with and hope he buys it. I look at my watch. I left too early, there's still a quarter of an hour of breakfast until classes start. I walk up the steps and push the door open. I walk into the Great Hall and see Fred, George, Lee, Alicia and Angelina still at the Gryffindor table. I walk towards them, trying to keep my breathing level. It hurts if I breathe too hard.

“Aurelia!” Angelina sees me first and waves. George leaps up and hurries over to me. He pulls me into a tight hug and I hug him back. He's warm and cuddly, better than staying in bed.

“Where've you been?” he asks, “you were gone all weekend.”

“My cousin is getting married this weekend,” I croak, “I had to get fitted for a dress, I completely forgot.”