Chapter 29

By lunch on Friday I am strongly rethinking my whether or not thiswill be a good year. I have so much homework I can barely even thinkand only have two breaks a day. All of my classes are interesting,but very difficult. It makes it even harder when Fred and Georgebounce around with all their free time.

"Any plans for tomorrow?" Fred asks, passing the potato salad,"we could spend the day by the lake, enjoy the last of the warmweather."

"That sounds fantastic," Alicia says enthusiastically.

"You in, Aurie?" George asks, nudging me. I shake my head.

"I need to get my homework done," I say, rubbing my eyes, "Ihave at least four essays due next week."

"Come on, Aurelia," Georgiana says, "it'll be good torelax."

I shake my head, piling food into my mouth. Georgiana sighs at me.

"You do not need to go to the library during lunch times," shesays.

"I need to pick up a couple of books," I hastily wiping myface and shouldering my bag, "I'll see you all in defence."

I hurry up to the library, still feeling hungry. I'm actuallylooking forward to feeding tonight, the blood will help me focus.

I get to the library and pick up the books, stuffing them into myalready full bag, and then head down to defence. Professor Moody hasmade an impression on us already, telling us about the UnforgivableCurses and the dark wizards he's caught. Everyone seems to be veryafraid and very impressed by him.

The Gryffindors and Georgiana are already outside the classroomwhen I arrive, just after the bell.

"Some of the sixth years were saying that Moody used theImperius curse on them," Georgiana says as I reach them,"apparently he's trying to teach us how to throw it off."

I feel a sense of dread settle over me. If Moody tries to use thaton me it won't work. He already knows I'm a vampire, of course, butthere will be a whole classroom of people who will get quite a shockwhen the spell simply washes over me.

In the past when we've been doing practical spell practice, theteachers have let me know before hand and have excused me from thelesson. I stand close to Georgiana, trembling with nerves. Moodyarrives, the clunk of his leg announcing his presence. We follow himinto the classroom in silence. The desks and chairs are all pushedback, leaving a big open space in the middle of the room.

"Right, today I'm going to be using the Imperius curse on youall," Moody growls, "your job will be to try to fight it off. Idon't expect any of you to do it first go. Right, who wants to gofirst?"

Nobody raises their hand. A couple of people shy back behind theirfriends. Moody grins.

"Looks like I'll get to pick."

We watch our classmates trying to fight the curse off one by one.Moody makes them jump around the room or jump over desks and chairs.Nobody makes any progress. I'm trying my hardest to disappear behindthe twins.

"You, behind the Weasleys."

I poke my head out from behind George.

"Me?" I squeak.

"Yes, you," Moody growls, "your turn."

I move into the middle of the classroom. Chrissie and Jessica aregiggling at me already. I swallow hard. Moody raises his wand and Iclose my eyes, fear gripping me.

"Oh! Professor!"

My eyes snap open and I see Georgiana with blood pouring down herface.

"What happened?" I exclaim, rushing over to her as she triesto stem the flow with her robes.