Chapter 51

"Three weeks today."

Georgiana sinks down next to me in the library one Monday. I look up from the chart I'm mapping.

"I know," I sigh, "this year is going so fast."

"Yeah, I know, I-"

"Aurelia!" George comes sprinting into the library and grabs me, kissing me hard. He breaks away and glances behind him.

"I love you," he says, running out again.

"George? George!" I run after him, Georgiana just behind me. We follow him all the way down to the Entrance Hall where he joins Fred. Members of the Inquisitorial squad and Umbridge surround them. Students, teachers and ghosts come pouring into the Hall around us. The twins are totally cornered and whatever they've done, it must be bad.

"So!" Umbridge says, triumph colouring her tone, "you think it's funny to turn a school corridor into a swamp, do you?"

"Yeah, we do," George says, grinning.

"Well, you two are about to learn what happens to wrong doers at my school!"

"You know what," Fred says, "I don't think we are."

"No, I think we're outgrown full time education," George says. Together they raise their wands.

"Accio brooms!"

There's a loud thunk behind us and I pull Georgiana down as the twins' brooms fly over our heads, the chains still trailing off one of them. They mount their brooms and fly up into the air.

"If anyone is interested in a portable swamp, check out our new premises, 93 Diagon Alley - Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes!"

"Discount to anyone who swears they'll use them to get rid of this old bat," Fred adds, looking at Umbridge.

"GET THEM!"

"Give her hell from us, Peezes!"

With a final wave, they swoop out of the Hall and disappear to loud applause from the students and some of the staff. McGonagall has never looked prouder.

"It's going to be quiet without them," Georgiana says as we walk slowly up to the library.

The next three weeks are so busy that we barely have time to miss the twins. The exams come up so quickly that I feel like I'm going to go crazy. More than once I burst into tears, convinced I'm going to fail. The teachers seem to be completely focused on getting us through without anyone having a mental break down. They review the material and encourage us to ask questions.

Then the exams arrive.

I have nightmares every night.

I cry onto two of my essays.

Georgiana vomits in one of the practical exams.

Angelina loses her voice.

Alicia refuses to look anyone in the eye.

And then they're over.

The whole year seems to be in shock.

And then we have a huge party.

Everything seems to finally be settling down.

And then the Daily Prophet announces You-Know-Who's return.

"We cannot catch a break, can we?" I ask Georgiana as we read over the article.

"At least now you know for sure," she sighs, folding the paper up, "we only have a few days left and then we'll leave this castle forever."

"Don't remind me," I say, "I'll miss it."

"Have you sorted out what you're doing next year?" Georgiana asks as we walk outside and sit in the shade, "I know your parents wanted you to join the ministry, are you still going chasing dragons?"

"I'm compromising," I say, "I'm starting an internship at the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. I got the letter this morning, providing my grades are high enough. What about you?"

"I've applied for an internship at the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes," she says, "they're waiting until results are released, though."

"I hope you get it," I say, "maybe we could rent somewhere in London together. I want to move out, have my own space."

"I'd like that," Georgiana agrees, "Fred seems to be enjoying living in Diagon Alley."

"Yeah, George said the shop is doing great," I smile, "it's mostly mail orders at the moment, I guess. I can't wait to see it."

"Are you apparating straight home this weekend?"

"No, I'm taking the train into London," I say, lying down, "I want to do it once."

"You're not missing much," Georgiana says, lying down too. I close my eyes and breathe in deeply.

"I'm going to miss this," I say, looking up at the leaves, the bits of sky peeking through, "it's so peaceful here."

"Yeah, now that Umbridge is out of the way," she says and we exchange a smirk.

"Hey guys," Alicia says, joining us with Angelina, "what're you talking about?"

"How much we'll miss this place," I answer, looking up at the castle, "we've spent the better part of seven years here. It seems more like home than home, sometimes."

"I know what you mean," Angelina says, "I can't believe it's all over. I can remember walking through those doors for the first time like it was yesterday."

"I know, I was so scared at the sorting," I say, "I remember nearly peeing myself."

"I was nearly put in Hufflepuff," Alicia says, "I was always glad I wasn't."

"We'll have to keep in touch," I say, sitting up, "what are you guys doing next year?"

"I want to try to get onto a Quidditch team," Angelina says, "I don't have a back up plan, so it'd better work out."

"I'm going abroad," Alicia says, "I want to study in France next year, there's a magical college there."

"Study what?"

"Probably teaching," she laughs, "although, I could probably get a job here as a Defense teacher. Dumbledore doesn't seem picky."

"It also isn't exactly a permanent position," I point out. We sit in silence for a while, looking out over the grounds.

A few days later we stand in the same spot, our luggage at our feet.

"This is really it," Georgiana says tearfully, "we're really leaving."

I pull her into a hug, tears flowing down my cheeks.

"Girls! If you don't hurry, you'll miss the carriages!"

We break apart and walk over to McGonagall, wiping our eyes. She looks at us with a rare, soft smile.

"I'm expecting great things from all of you," she says, "good luck."

Georgiana bursts into tears again. I put an arm around her and we get onto the last carriage. We watch the school grow smaller as we move away from it. I wave to McGonagall, who raises her hand in farewell.

The train trip is quiet for the first half, then we start to pick up again. When we reach London and go through the barrier the twins are there to meet us.

"George!" I jump into his arms and hug him tightly.

"You've been crying," he notes, "are you okay?"

The tears well up again, but I nod.

"I just can't believe it's all over," I say, wiping my face. George laughs and tilts my face up to look at him.

"Aurelia, this isn't the ending," he says, "this is only the beginning!"