Is she or isn't she

Lauren's pov

The more I read the journals, the more I'm taken with Camila. She's bright, cheery, upbeat and cares deeply about others. She loves walking in the park on sunny days and reads romantic stories. Maybe not the attributes a lesbian would look for in a woman, but after having my heart crushed by Ally she's like a breath of fresh air.

I continue my odd work for Sikowitz working about 3-4 days a week. He has me run odd errands around London frequently. He'll have me get a circuit board or some other piece of computer equipment. Sometimes he has me fetch a particular book or scientific journal. I've been doing a lot of data entry, but most of that is just numbers into a spreadsheet.

I did some research and learned that my employer is Dr. Erwin Sikowitz, who graduated near the top of his class from Cal Tech. He has doctorates in both Physics and Math. From what I've learned, he was always a person that went against the grain and some of his theory's had been ridiculed by his peers. His specialty seems to deal with wormholes. Holes in space and time that can take a person across far distances in an instant.

But that's not all that relevant, as this is only a job. As long as I get my free Chinese food and paycheck, I'll do anything that doesn't involve me getting naked or dead.

In the journals I'm up to Camila's 16th year. She works in the Tavern/Inn her father owns as a waitress and spends a lot of time with her friend Dinah. I said this before, but I've noticed something recently in the journals. It's subtle but hasn't escaped my attention. I had previously noticed her sister, but Camila not nearly so. But lately, I've noticed an odd thing.

When she describes men, it's usually not very descriptive. She gives only the most basic descriptions, such as He was tall and thin with curly brown hair.

But with women she often goes into much more detail. Such in this entry.

December 14th, 1866.

Father, Sofi, and I were blessed with an invitation to the Christmas Party at Dinah's parent's estate. It was a wonderful affair with excellent food, good conversation and we even danced. Dinah introduced me to her cousin Sarah Hansen, who was from Coventry. She was a saucy sort of girl and rather fun to talk to. She was about my height with an oval face, brown eyes and narrow lips. Her hair lay in tight, dark brown ringlets. She was what they called a full figured girl with a large bosom. Sarah and I spent most of the night just talking and getting to know each other.
Father spent time talking to Mr. Hansen and the other adults where the subject of Business was the main topic of conversation. We had a wonderful night

Now that the fact that she describes women in much more detail may mean nothing. But something inside me tells me it's because she prefers to look at woman. It's not just that, but lots of other little things.

But with each entry, I fell more in love with Camila. Though I started to call her Camz for short. My own little pet nickname for her. A lot of the entries were just day to day life in Victorian England. I went to the grocer, attended school, but some were her more deeper thoughts. But even thing I felt like she was holding back.

The next summer was a very interesting entry. Much to my disgust, I learned that Camila's father had arranged for her to marry Austin Mahone.

July 3rd, 1867

Today was a rather strange day. Father spoke to me of a boy that will have my hand when he is older. I have a picture and he is attractive I suppose. His hair is a nice brown colour and his eyes are an auburn hue. His name is Austin Mahone and other than that there is not much to note of my future husband. I was told he is now 23 years of age. I'm told he has traveled extensively throughout the world. Though I smiled and said he looked nice, honestly I felt little enthusiasm for him.