Knock, Knock

no one's pov

Lauren's heart dropped instantly when she saw the tall form of Mr. Cabello standing on her doorstep.

"May I come in?" He said quickly.

"Please do." Lauren said with a nod of her head.

Mr. Cabello walked in and turned around, waiting for Lauren to close the door. As soon as Lauren did he began to speak.

"I heard what happened tonight. Both from Camila and one of our regulars, Shamus McMaster. He witnessed the whole thing."

Lauren found herself unable to look at Camila's father in the eyes . Instead her she lowered her head so she was looking at his shoes. Lauren knew she was dead.

"I take it I'm discharged." Lauren said, wanting to get it over with.

"Is that what you think I'm here for?" Mr. Cabello said, sounding a bit surprised.

Slightly confused, Lauren looked up at Mr. Cabello. "Frankly sir, yes. I treated that sergeant rather roughly, not to mention I pretty much humiliated him by doing it in front of his men. My father taught me how to fight. He wanted his girl to be able to handle herself."

He smiled slightly and shook his head. "No Lauren, you are not discharged. In fact I wanted to thank you."

"Wha?"

"I know Camila wanted to handle things her way, but these soldiers from the sound of it just arrived back from somewhere. I've seen men like that, especially after a long posting overseas. Men like that are capable of nearly anything. You performed above and beyond your duty as a servant."

"Thank you." Lauren said quietly. Though the last part of what he said, stuck in her mind. As if he were somehow reminding Lauren of her place.

"In gratitude, I will increase your salary by 2 pence a week. You've done very well so far."

Lauren bowed slightly. "Thank you ever so much sir. How is Camila?"

"She's a bit upset, but will recover. Thank you for your concern. " He said in his usual polite, but military like manner.

"You're welcome sir."

Mr. Cabello moved to the door. "Well I have to attend to some business before I turn in. I will leave you alone for this evening. Good night Lauren."

"Thank you sir. Have a good night." Lauren responded as she walked to the door and closed it behind him.

A few moments later, Lauren was alone. While she had kept her job, Camila probably was still mad at her. Plus there was no telling when and if Camila would ever talk to her again. Lauren felt about as defeated as before. Sighing, she sat down and tried to figure how to get back into Camila's good graces.

Lauren was still sitting there a half an hour later when there was another knock at the door. "What the hell?"

Puzzled as to how now was at the door, Lauren pulled it open to see Camila standing on her doorstep. Unlike before, she did not look angry; in fact she looked somewhat humbled.

"Can I please come in Lauren? I'd like to speak with you if I could."

Not quite sure what this was about, Lauren gestured for Camila to come in. As before, she waited until her guest was inside and shut the door.

As Lauren turned to Camila, she quickly noticed the half Latina fumbling with her hands in a rather nervous manner. "Thank you for seeing me."

"So what can I do for you, Miss Camila?" Lauren addressing her as she would normally while she was working. Still a bit upset at being yelled at, Lauren decided to keep it a bit formal.