Out in the open

no one's pov

Putting her arm around Lauren, Camila slowly helped the very drunk girl back across the roof to the stairs. Despite their little breakthrough, Camila could see that Lauren was still very upset. She didn't speak, but only cried.

After one or two times where she fell to the ground, Camila managed to get Lauren back in the apartment. She was glad she got her inside when she did, as not more than a minute later it started pouring outside.

"You need to get into bed Lauren." Camila said as she eased Lauren in the doorway.

Lauren moaned forlornly, then mumbled. "Back to the couch."

That made Camila who already felt pretty rotten, feel worse. They had been intimate more than once and she made Lauren sleep on the couch. It occurred to Camila just then, that not once did Lauren ever complain about it.

For a solid moment, Camila gave some deep thought what exactly was right and wrong. Ultimately she concluded it was wrong to leave Lauren on the couch like that. Lauren needed love and affection that could make whatever they had between them grow and Camila put a stop to that. All because she was too afraid and wanted to live in the past.

Camila shook her head. "I won't be afraid any longer. Lauren, you're coming bed with me. You need me and....I need you."

Lauren who was still crying, just put her head on Camila's shoulder and sobbed. It made sense that Lauren kept crying, it was obvious now that Lauren had held a lot in and only now was releasing it. Camila also knew that her words earlier had wounded Lauren pretty badly and that made her feel terrible.

She then helped Lauren into the bedroom and stripped her out of her wet clothes, then with a towel from the bathroom dried her off. All the while, Lauren just cried and cried.

Camila then slid Lauren into bed, stripped out of her wet clothes, dried herself off and crawled into bed with Lauren. Lauren immediately rolled over and put her arms around her with a soft whimper.

"Please let me love you." The drunk, upset and still somewhat wounded Lauren pleaded before she passed out in Camila's arms.

Camila didn't know much about how people who prefer the same sex are treated here. Lauren had made one or two comments about how it was generally accepted, but they had barely spoken in the last 2 weeks. So Lauren never really got a chance to clarify what that all meant.

But regardless if it was accepted or not, her heart told her that being with Lauren was the place for her.

"I love you Lauren you have no idea." Camila said, before closing her eyes.

Camila awoke the next morning with a snoring Lauren, still clinging to her. It felt wonderful to wake up with the raven haired beauty. Needing to go to the bathroom she slowly extracted herself from Lauren's arms and left her sleeping peacefully on the bed.

After using the bathroom, Camila remembered something. In the folder of notes there appeared to be a journal much like the one she wrote in. She never got a chance to look at it last night.

"It's only fair." Camila said, as she opened the book.

The book was a journal that Lauren had kept during her time in 1869. Not able to resist, Camila took the journal, poured herself a glass of milk and sat down at the small table in the kitchen.

Of all the modern wonders, Camila did like the refrigerator. She loved being able to have a glass of cold milk or water whenever she liked.

Camila read an entry.

June 25th, 1869.

I hate this, I hate this, I hate this. Why do I have to fucking lie to her every day? Why? I hate it. She's beautiful and special and a wonderful lover and I just can't tell her who I am or that I'm madly in love with her. If she marries him, she'll die. I want to tell her, I need to tell her, but I'm so afraid of losing what little I have of her. I feel so damn guilty all the time.