Upstairs/Downstairs

Lauren's pov

The next thing I knew my alarm was buzzing. Much to my surprise I slept from midafternoon until 5:15 the next morning. I'd like to say that I felt well rested, but that crude bed would take a bit getting used to.

The next thought I had depressed me completely. It was that I realized I had to go to the bathroom. After a minute I crawled out of bed and stood in a somewhat cold cabin for a few seconds. Then I decided to brave the outhouse.

The first unpleasantness of my day was that I had to walk outside across the cold dew covered ground.

"Son of a bitch. Stupid morning dew. I hate it." I cursed loudly as I walked to the outhouse.

Upon arriving at the outhouse, I detected what I'll merely describe as "The Smell". A smell so rank, that no amount of the spray stuff that my mom keeps in the bathroom would cover up. I nearly threw up as I walked in the little wooden outhouse.

Entering, I was greeted by the sight of a round hole on the small platform in a room which was the size of a small closet. I didn't bother to look down the hole, no person should have to see that. Of course it got even better when I noticed what they had for toilet paper; some old rags. Thank god, I only had to pee.

After peeing quickly, I quickly fled the outhouse and returned to the cabin. Normally I would take a hot shower to wake up and get clean. But that wasn't an option. I didn't even have any soap. But considering the smell I detected from some of the people here, bathing wasn't done all that often.

So I did the best I could, I threw on my shoes, grabbed a pitcher from the cabinet and got some water from the stream. Taking a drink, it was cool and clean, at least something here didn't smell.

After splashing water on my face, I combed my hair and dressed in my other dress. The entire time, I had to ignore my hunger and desperate need for a coffee, from the yet to be invented Java Barn.

I hated the conditions, but all I had to think of was that Camila's grave in 2016 to spur me on. I refuse to let the Victorian age beat me, I am Lauren Jauregui and I will crush it. I also think of it this way, if I'm ever up for a part during the Victorian era, I've got it nailed. The last thing I did was put my phone on the solar charger. I did take pains to put it in a way, it would not easily be seen.

At this point a thought occurred to me and I dug my kindle out of my bag. I had scanned in all of Camila's dairies and maybe I could see what she wrote last night. Would they change with me interacting with her? I desperately wanted to know what she thought of me.

But my spirits soon feel as I read the entry.

April 29th, 1869

"It rained most of the day. The big news was that Taylor, the servant, quit today as she has just gotten engaged to her beau, Richard Howe. She was always a quiet sort, but very attentive to her work. She will be busy planning her wedding and will also soon be moving away. I hope father will be able to hire someone to replace her soon. Until then, we will have to do without. I spent some time working on my needlepoint, but otherwise it was a pretty normal day. I find myself wondering what life will be like when I live in the Mahone estate. They have many more servants than we do. I just know I will be happy there. I have my doubts, but I'm positive they will disappear, once I happily settle into married life."

It didn't change, after re-reading the entry three times, I realized the entry didn't change. Not one single word changed from the first time I read it and no mention of me. I know from her comments she always wrote in her journals just before she went to sleep. So she would have known of me by then. Somehow the diaries I have stayed exactly as they were. So much for knowing what Camila is thinking. I guess the powers that be have decided, that would be one advantage too many. I guess I'll have to earn this one.