Prologue

They were finally doing it. After four long, frustrating years, they were finally going to adopt their kids, and form the family they'd been dreaming about since they were eighteen years old.

Liam and Zayn met in high school, and started dating when they were both sixteen. Liam was in the football team, basically, a jock that only cared about parties and sports, and Zayn in the art room all day, closed up in himself. They found each other, and balanced out. Zayn opened up, and Liam put his feet on Earth. They fell in love since day one.

They got married six years after that, once Zayn had finished Art school -with a scholarship in the best art school in London-, and Liam had a job as a firefighter. It was a small and sweet ceremony they both loved. They were so happy. They started the adopting process that same week.

They knew adopting wasn't easy, one doesn't just go to an orphanage and choose, like kids are groceries. They had to submit the application, ask friends and family to write hundreds of letters of recommendation, and pass four surprise inspections in their house, to check if it was a safe environment for children. That took about a year. Then, they could finally make an official petition.

They insisted they didn't care about ages, or backgrounds. They just wanted to have kids, and if they were able to help a little one with a bad past, they were ready to deal with that. They also didn't care about a number of kids (stating a maximum of four. Money wasn't a problem when Zayn's drawings were sold for thousands). So that's exactly what they told the service workers, and they were placed on the waiting list.

Fifteen long, frustrating months later, they got the call. They were together when it happened, and Liam even cried a bit. They had three little ones ready for a home, and in two months they could take them home. They went to the orphanage the following day, to get a first look. They were adorable. The service workers weren't allowed to give them more information other than names and ages: Louis, six years old, Harry, four and a half, and little Niall, who was two. Zayn and Liam were so happy.

So two long months later, they were ready. It was the day. The day they'd finally become official parents. Liam woke up with the alarm first, and had a quick shower before waking up his husband.

"Zee, come on, it's the day!" he screamed. Zayn smiled and opened his eyes, going for a kiss.

"I'll make breakfast" Liam said, and exited the room. Before going downstairs, he took a look at the other rooms ready for their boys, in the same floor. They had furniture, but not clothes, toys or sheets. They'd decided to take the boys shopping that same morning, so they had a say.

In one of the bedrooms there was a "big boy" bed, the one they planned to give Louis. Since he was older than his brothers, that would probably be the best idea. The other room had two beds, one of them with a railing on one side (the crib-bed, as Zayn called it). It was a bit bigger than the other one, meant for Niall and Harry.

Liam made breakfast, and soon Zayn was downstairs, dressed in a shirt.

"I'm nervous about the files" he told his husband. They'd been told that the boys had difficult pasts, but they didn't know what those were.

"It'll be fine. Remember El said the boys are excited to come, they'll be happy. It's going to be rough, but it'll pass. You see"

Zayn smiled.

********************************

They pulled into the parking of the big building. Zayn put a hand over Liam's, before they left the car.