1. The Day Everything Changed

Hi, my name is Blaise Thompson. Or at least that's what I thought. I've lived in middle of nowhere, Florida all my life with my parents, that's what I had been told anyway.

The day I started to learn the truth started out like any other. I was in my last class of the last day of school in my sophomore year of high school struggling against my dyslexia to read my English final, when I got a text from my best friend, James, asking to stay over tonight.

This was a normal occurrence these days, he was having a lot of trouble at home and couldn't stand being at home most nights.

I texted him back, Sure. Come in the usual way.

The usual meant coming in the window so, my parents wouldn't know. Not that they would care anyway.

James was like my little brother that I chose to have. We have known each other since I was in 1st grade and he was in kindergarten.

He texted back, C u at 10.

I finish my exam as the bell rings. I'm up and handing my paper in and out the door in two seconds. I guess my ADHD was running wild that day because I'm never in a rush to get home.When I get home, I go straight to my room to avoid conflict with my parents. Ugh....

Later, James opens up the window still in the same clothes as I saw him at school in.

"Did you even go home?" I asked him.

"And deal with mom's stupid boyfriend? No thanks."

He went to my dresser and pulled out his pillow and blanket out of the bottom drawer then laid down in his usual spot on the floor.

He talked about our terrible parents and how we were going to run away when we get older and can take care of ourselves.

"Let's run away to the beach. You know how much I love it there. Well how much I think I'd love it there." I had never been to the beach in my life. I'd daydream about going there all the time. What kind of person lives in Florida but never goes to the beach.

He said "Why haven't you tried out for the swim team yet?"

"It costs too much money and the 'rents would complain and tell me to forget it"

We started to doze off.

************************************

The next morning, I woke up to James climbing out the window. I roll over and look at the clock. It's just about 7 o'clock and the sun was up.

I got up and looked out the window. I see James walking down the road and I see this huge dog a little ways behind him.

I call out to him but he doesn't hear me. I hurry to get changed and I run out the door. I catch up to them in a few minutes a couple streets down.

I see the huge, black dog on top of James trying rip out his throat. Adrenaline pulses through my veins, and out of instinct, I pull back my arm as if I'm in archery class. This bow appears and looks as if it's made out of sunlight and shoots the beast with a sunlight arrow.

The monster turns to ashes and I run to James who's covered in blood. A voice popped into my head, a voice that wasn't my own, telling me to get him to water. I look around frantically for a source of water and I spot a pool.

I half carry, half drag James to the pool and jump in the shallow end. I pull him in after me I watched as the water flowed from my arms to my hands to his wounds closing them up and healing them. I pull him out of the pool and lay him in my lap.

He starts to wake up. I sigh in relief.

"What happened?" He said dazed and confused.

"There was this monster hound following and it attacked." I thought about how crazy I sounded. "What the hell was that thing?" I say to myself.

And out of nowhere we both hear a male voice say "That my dear demigods, was a Hell Hound and not the last one you'll see if I don't get you to camp now."

"Wait what did mean demigods? Like from mythology? Camp?"

The short man dressed in a trench coat and hat says "Exactly."

As he says that he looks above my head in awe. I look up and there's a giant green pitchfork above my head. The man looks at me again, completely startled.

"That's not possible! I have to get you to Camp Half-Blood immediately!"

"Wait I'm not going anywhere until I know what's going on! Especially not with someone I don't even know!"

The man looks at me and takes off his coat and reveals furry legs that end in goat hooves. My jaw drops.

"You and James are both demigods. I already knew about James and was tracking him to take him to camp when this mess happened."

"You saw the Hell Hound attacking him and you didn't help him!" I screamed at him full of rage, still not understanding what's going on.

"I was about to reveal myself when you showed up to save the day. Now will you come with me? It's not safe for you two outside of camp."

I was about to scream at him that he was crazy but, suddenly James got up calmly and told the half goat. "Can we get some stuff first and Blaise has a family that'll worry about her so I don't think she can just leave." He looked as if he couldn't care less about this whole situation, just that he was leaving.

I said "Right, you can't just kidnap kids and expect everything to be okay. Plus we don't even know your name."

The half goat finally said "My name is Thomas. I am a protector of demigods from Camp Half-Blood, a safe place for young half-bloods."

********************************

(A/N)

Well, there's the first chapter. I promise Percy is coming soon!

I'd love to hear what you think.