2. I'm Adopted?

Since we weren't far from James' house, we decided to go there first to grab his things. We went up to the door of James' rundown trailer.

I always thought that James' didn't belong in a place like this. He's bright, easy-going, and always reminded me of a surfer with tan skin and bright blue eyes. He looked like he belong in some beach house in Daytona, not some trailer park in the middle of nowhere. Maybe that's why I always hung out with him, he reminded me of the beach which I loved but never went to.

A few minutes after we knocked, James' mother answered. Unlike James' sandy hair, his mother had brown hair and at the moment it was in a bun and she was dressed in a robe. I thought she was going to scream at James for not coming home but instead she saw Thomas.

"Is it time for him to go?" She said sadly to Thomas.

Thomas nodded. "They know about him now."

She sighed and looked at James. "Go get your stuff."

James looked somewhat shocked but listened. As he went past his mother in the doorway, she grabbed him and pulled him into a hug. I had never seen her give James the time of day unless he messed up so, this sudden affection was surprising. She finally let go and he went deeper into the trailer.

I could hear him walking throughout the trailer. I knew this was for show though. I knew he always had a bag packed to leave at a moment's notice, we both did. He was probably trying not to make his mom feel bad.

He came back out with a blue camping bag full of his small amount of personal belongings. James' mother had tears in her eyes as we walked away down the street.

I looked at Thomas and asked the question that had been bothering me.

"Hey, how did she know you were coming?"

"She knew James' father was a god and he explained to her that this would happen when he got older. Although usually it happens earlier around twelve years old."

"Wait. James' Dad is a god?"

"Yeah, that's what demigod means. Do you even pay attention to what you're hearing?"

"Well, excuse me for trying to understand what in the world is going on." I thought about everything that happened. I realized that James is leaving.

"So, that means I'm never going to see James again." I looked back at James who was walking behind us.

"No, you're coming too." Thomas told me.

"But I'm not a demigod. Neither of my parents are gods. My dad is a dentist and my mom is a teacher."

"Hmm... Then it seems they are not your real parents because you are fact a demigod and by the smell of you a strong one. Do you think normal people can pull a bow out of thin air and heal people with water?" I thought about that and decided he was probably right even though it was crazy.

"Well, if I am adopted it would make a lot of sense. I look so different from them but I just thought it was genes from more distant family." I said not really surprised at all. Although, I never thought one of my  parents would be a god.

James caught up to us and overheard what I said. "I thought you knew."

"Knew what?" I asked him confused.

"That you're adopted. I overheard them talking one night after you had fallen asleep."

"What did they say?"

"They were complaining about you as usual and..." He looked sort of worried that he might upset me.

"And...?"