16. Family Sacrifices

I woke up to the sound of swords clashing. I looked up not feeling rested at all.

"Who do think you are?!" James was yelling at Nico.

Their swords were clashed. Nico looked bored. James was sweating. I saw Nico holding a McDonald's bag in the hand he wasn't holding his sword.

"Whoa! Stop!" I foolishly got in between them and got cut on my side from Nico's sword. "Why are you two fighting?"

"Look, Now you hurt her. I am so going to kill you."

"No. You won't. Will someone please tell me why you are fighting, please? Before I kill both of you." Nico looked as annoyed as I was.

"I woke up to him coming out of a shadow with Mickey D's and he didn't bring us anything."

I doubled over in laughter. "You're kidding me, right? James, you're an idiot." James put his sword down.

"But, Icara. He has Mickey D's. We have energy bars." He tried to give the puppy dog look.

I gave him a look. Really. How have I put up with you all this time? I walked away, shaking my head and grabbed my water bottle and opened it. I willed the water out and healed the cut on my side. Nico walked over to his area away from us and started to eat his breakfast. I pulled out an energy bar and ate it. It was true they sucked. James was pouting.

"Stop Pouting. When you can shadow travel, you can go get us food." He gave me a look of you know I'll never be able to do that.

I sat down against the wall next to him, laughing. I laid my head on his shoulder. "You know when finish this quest. I'll buy you all the Mickey D's you want."

He perked up. "Promise?"

"Yes." I nodded.

After he was satisfied, I got up and walked over to where Nico was still munching on his food.

"I'm sorry. He's crazy. I didn't know you could shadow travel I mean I read about it in a book at camp but I didn't think you could."

He looked up from his food. "Yeah. It's draining though." I nodded.

"Do you think you could shadow travel us to Seattle?"

"I probably could but it would wipe me out. It would be better to go on foot anyway."

I nodded. "Damn."

I sat across from the younger boy. He handed me a hash brown. I looked at skeptically. "I'm not a big fan of them." He said.

I took it. "Thanks." I took a bite and looked around. I noticed a lump of satyr still sleeping.

"How in Hades did he sleep through that?" I finished my hash brown and walked over to him. "Thomas." I nudged him with my foot. "Wake up."

"Five more minutes, Eric." Who's Eric?

"Thomas. Get up." He rolled over.

"Thomas, if you don't get up, I'm going to put an arrow in your hairy butt." He sat up. "Alright. Everyone is up. Let's pack up and head out." I ordered, feeling like a true leader.

"Yes, sir." James jumped up and saluted me. I laughed. I rolled up my sleep bag and I packed my bag, realizing that Lucas was nowhere to be seen.

"Where's Lucas?" I asked. Thomas and James shrugged.

"Who's Lucas?" Nico asked.

"My cat/lion."

"Cat/lion?"