21. Waking Up

I felt like I was floating on a wave at the beach. I let the current take me where it wanted me to go.

I became aware of the voices around me whispering and sounding slightly panicked.

"We almost lost her during the battle. She started to seize for no reason, right before we learned Gaia had been awaken. She's back to her normal state now but it was a close call." A familiar voice spoke softly, releasing a sigh of relief.

"What happened?" Another familiar said sounding frustrated.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know? Will, you're the doctor here." The other voice yelled.

"I'm younger than you, remember?" I heard an exasperated sigh and the sound of a chair scratching against the floor as someone sat down hard on it.

"I know. I'm sorry. Why hasn't she woken up yet?"

My eyes started to flutter open. It was blurry at first, then my eyes adjusted and I could see the ceiling of the room. What happened? I could hear Will's voice and knew he was standing to my left trying to comfort the person in the chair.

"Will?" It came out as a whisper. The boy looked up as I moved my head to face them. I could see the boy in the chair better now. "James?" My voice a little louder but cracked.

"Oh my gods. James. She's awake." James looked up and through his tears, he smiled.

"Is it really you? Are you really awake?"

My tears start flowing as I remembered what had happened again. I remembered how I almost died, the time I spent in Elysium, and how broken James had been while I was gone. "Yes, James. I'm here." I started to sit up but Will stopped me.

"You've been asleep for a long time. You'll probably have trouble moving correctly. Don't hurt yourself."

Will seemed tired. He had blood all over his scrubs. I sat up anyway, feeling stiff and heavy. I looked at James. He had his arm in a sling.

"What happened to you?" My voice finally started to sound normal.

"A lot. But I'll fill you in on it later." James said, getting up from the chair.

Will was busy running around taking my temperature, checking my heartbeat, and doing other tests. James walked to the edge of the bed. I took his good hand. He squeezed it. I opened my mouth to say I was sorry about everything that had happened, when we heard shouts coming from the hallway. Will pulled out a knife from his pocket. I couldn't believe what I was seeing so I turned toward James who had his sword unclipped from his belt and held it with his good arm. What the Hades? The shouts got louder.

I heard a girl shout just outside the door. "Wait! You can't go in there!" and then a response from a familiar voice.

"Like Hades I can't!" The door busted opened and there standing in the door looking burned, scratched, bruised, and broken was my brother.

"Percy? What the Hades! You can't just bust doors---hmphh!" I was interrupted by him practically tackling me.

"I'm so sorry!" He hugged me tightly.

"I see that you remember me now."

"I remember everything. Gods, I can't believe I did that."

"It's ok. I'm fine now." I rubbed his back trying to soothe him. He looked at me and released me.