10. The Bookworm

I opened my eyes to a blinding light and thought Oh, great. I'm dead.

My eyes adjusted and I realized I was in the infirmary again and someone had left the blinds open.

"Someone please turn off the sun." I mumbled still waking up rolling away from the light.

I heard someone stir and scream "She's awake!" and footsteps after. Someone went over and shut the blinds. It was James, I could by the way the sun silhouetted his body and how it somehow stuck to his hair like some kind of halo, which only pushed my suspicion that I was dead.

"Thank gods. You're ok." He was practically tripping over himself to come hug me.

I tried to sit up and was met with a nasty pain.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Will said as he walked into the room. "You're still healing." He looked me over and checked all of the bruising to make sure it was healing. He gave me ambrosia and a cup of nectar with a bendy straw. He nodded to eat it and drink and then yelled "Alright she's fine. You guys can come in now."

Annabeth followed by Chiron in wheelchair form came in. She looked as if she had been crying for hours.

"How long was I out?" I started to perk up after eating the ambrosia.

"About two and a half days." James answered. My jaw dropped.

Chiron cleared his throat and James took that as his queue to leave. He kissed my cheek, blushed, and left the room. I remembered what happened between us and my stomach turned to knots as I reached up to touch my cheek where he kissed it.

"Ok, can you tell us what happened to you and  what happened to Percy?" That pulled me out of my thoughts.

At first I didn't know what they were talking about and then I tried to get out of bed and almost dropped to the floor in pain if Will hadn't caught me and helped me back into bed, all the events of the night before rushed back.

I told them everything that had transpired between Percy and I, while drinking from my bendy strawed drink.

"Last thing I remember is Percy jumping into a hole down by Zeus' Fist and him saying he was sorry and that he didn't want to hurt me."

Annabeth looked really confused. "Percy would never hurt any camper, let alone his own sister."

Chiron puzzled over the information. "The curse must have begun. It would explain why you were out so long. When he attacks you, it's tenfold on you, his twin. We have to find him before some worse happens."

I knew what this meant. "I need to go. He's my twin and my responsibility to save him from our curse."

Annabeth spoke up too. "I have to go too."

"No. Annabeth he can't focus when you're with me and you're too driven by your feelings for him. Every time you are mentioned he goes berserk and attacks. You can't come." I told her.

She started to argue when Chiron spoke up. "She's right. It's her quest."

Annabeth looked broken and upset as she excused herself from the room.

"Annabeth..." She turned and looked at me. "I'll bring him back I promise or I'll die trying" She nodded and walked out.

"You may take two campers with you. Meet here day after tomorrow." I nodded my understanding and Chiron left.

I spent the rest of the day thinking, sleeping, watching the other campers enter and leave, and being bored out of my skull. I mean, would it kill anyone to visit me or invest in a television?