20. He Failed?!?!?!?!?

"James."

He was sitting on his bed as the campers scurried around the room. I caught sight of several of his siblings looking at him with pity.

James had lost all of his light.

He was paler than anyone I'd ever seen and that included Nico. His hair had no shine and he had rings under his eyes as if he hadn't slept in months.

He was wasting away.

I heard a couple of his siblings talking about him and how his girl hadn't woken up yet and he blames himself. It was my fault. My tears started to fall.

"James. Please stop this. I'm sorry I'm not with you. Please get better. I be home soon." I leaned over and kissed his cheek, knowing he wouldn't feel it. He finally moved. He put his hand on the spot I had just kissed.

"Blaise, please wake up and come home." The vision faded.

*****************************************

I put the dagger on the nightstand and sobbed into my pillow until I fell asleep.

I woke up with puffy eyes. I laid there unmoving for a while trying to will myself to get out of bed.

I finally got up, grabbed a book from the book shelf, and laid on the couch.

I tried to focus on the book in front of me but my mind kept wandering.

A while later, I heard a distant knocking sound. A few minutes later, I heard the door open. "Icara? Are you here?" I recognized the voice and sighed.

"Yeah."

"I've been knocking for ten minutes. Why didn't you answer?" I shrugged, depressed.

"What's wrong?" I felt the tears building up again. Luke sat down next to me.

"Talk to me." He put his arm around my shoulders. I put my face into the crook of his neck.

"I saw him. He's falling apart." I cried into his neck.

"Who?" The tears started to flow. His arms moved to my waist.

"James. I did this to him. It's my fault."

"No, it's not. Calm down. You'll be home soon."

"Percy's in Tartarus. He might die before he even finishes his quest and I'll be stuck here forever."

"Percy doesn't fail. He'll do whatever it takes to complete his quest." The tears slowed down a bit. I knew my brother. He would stop at nothing to save everyone he cares about.

"Come on. I know what will help." He stood up and offered his hand. I took it and he pulled me up off the couch.

He dragged me out of my room. My clothes changed, it was heavier but I wasn't paying much attention. We walked out the building toward an empty field. Luke summoned our swords and handed me mine. I looked at him questioningly.

"You said you wanted me to give you some lessons."

"Yeah. Uh... I don't think I'm up for it right now, Luke."

"Come on. It might be your last chance to take a shot at me." I looked at him and sighed.

"Fine."

"That a girl. Come at me." I lunged at him halfheartedly. He swiped it away with ease.

"Like you mean it this time." I swung it at him again with a little more force. "You fight like a girl."