Chapter Two ~ The Marauders

A soft breeze blows my hair as I walk towards the lake. It was the second week of September, and it was already become chillier. I take a seat underneath the oak tree, breathing in the fresh air. Sunlight streamed in between the branches and illuminated the ground around me.

I lean my back up against the cool bark, closing my eyes.

The first week of school was very hectic, with many assignments to complete after every day. Remus and I worked together on most assignments together, along with Lily and sometimes Sirius, if he didn't joke around the entire time. When we were practicing the Vanishing Spell in Transfiguration, I was able to perform it on the first try. In Potions, Slughorn still treated Lily and I like his favorite pets, while Snape was losing popularity in the professor's eyes.

The strangest thing that happened that week was that the Marauders seemed more friendly to me than usual. We hardly ever did anything together, except for being in class. Remus and I would hang out every once in a while, doing homework or just messing around, usually in the Library. Peter shared his Pumpkin Pasties with me once, which I knew were his favorite treat. James would stick his tongue out at me whenever we saw each other. Sirius would constantly mess around with me, although it was all in good fun.

"Hey." A smooth-boyish voice sounds above me, disrupting my peace. I open my eyes and see a shadow interrupting the sun beams. A boy with features similar to Sirius Black's stands a few feet away: tall, gray-eyed, and jet black hair. His blue-gray orbs wore a playful gleam. He was alone.

"Hello." I say politely. Honestly, I was a bit irritated, since I came outside to relax and have some time to myself. "Who are you?"

The boy laughs. He had a hearty laugh that was still soft. It was the kind to make others laugh too. "You don't know?" I shake my head. "You don't know the seeker for the Slytherin Quidditch Team? The best fourth-year there is?"  Again I shake my head.

"I'm Regulus Black." They boy answers, a smile sparkling on his white teeth.

"I didn't know Sirius had a brother." I think out loud. After I say it, I cover my mouth. "Sorry, I-"

"Well, my brother doesn't really go around shouting, 'Have you met my brother Regulus? He's great!', now does he?" Regulus ponders in a charming voice. I once again shake my head.

I felt awkward and out of place. Why did he want to talk to me anyway? There had to be a reason, or else he wouldn't have bothered me, a person he didn't even know.

"That's enough about me. What about you?" He asks, cracking me another sly grin as he leans up against the tree. He even acted like Sirius.

"I'm Calico Finley." I introduce myself. "Now, is there a reason you came to chat, or-"

"Does one have to provide a reason to chat with another other than just wanting to communicate?" Regulus asks me. A blush creeped up my face. This boy - whoever he was - was embarrassing me. Making me look foolish.

"I suppose not." My voice replies in a snappy manner.

"Then that's that." Regulus concludes. I glare up at him and gather my belongings, rising to my feet. When I stood, he was just a bit taller than me. I attempt to take a step around him, but he blocks my move with a foot. Annoyance burned through me.

"Where are you off to?" Regulus asks me, looking triumphant. My eyebrows furrow. I take another step, but he blocks me again. I reach inside of my cloaks and my hand grasps my wand, pulling it out and pointing it at the ground. Regulus rolls his eyes.

"Can't you take a hint?"

My eyes focus on my shoes.

I blush with humiliation. His eyes and his smile seemed to lure me in, which I was trying to resist.