Chapter Fifteen ~ Malignant Crimson

The Marauders hadn't come up to me for five days. It was now Tuesday.

My days had passed painstakingly slowly, driving me to a point of near-insanity. During classes on Friday and Monday, I had kept my distance from James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter. I made sure to sit in the far back corners of each classroom, remaining cloaked in the shadows that matched my lonely mood. I spent my weekend in the library or my dormitory, reading, studying, and thinking about my stubbornness and where it had led me this time.

In my heart, I knew that both Sirius and I were right in our own ways. I had the right, as their friend and a witness to Remus's illness, to know what was happening to him. Despite this, I should trust that the other boys know the best ways to help him.

The fact that I didn't know what was going on burrowed under my skin, but I would have to learn to live with it if I still wanted to be close to the Marauders.

The last few days had made me feel isolated and alone. My time had passed without a smile or a laugh. For the first time since I had become friends with the boys, I had not smiled or laughed at least a few times in a day.

It had been strange to be away from the four boys that I had grown so close to; even if we hadn't had as strong as a bond as I thought we had.

I take a bite of my toast as I sit at the Gryffindor table, feeling odd as I sit by myself. I had decided to come as early as possible in order to avoid James's hazel gaze, Sirius's upset expression, Remus's extremely sick face, and Peter's apologetic, watery eyes.

I read from my Potions textbook as I consume my meal, my eyes traveling over different concoctions. I wasn't particularly into my reading, as I noticed James, Sirius, and Peter enter the Great Hall immediately.

Trying to maintain my iron-willed stance, I kept my gaze trained on my book, not daring to look up at the boys as they approach where I am seated on a bench.

I only transfer my gaze when James mutters, "Calico?" His voice trembled with uncertainty.

I stifle my gasp as I gaze upon the trio. All three had scratches on the skin of their arms, necks, and faces, and their noses were all red from the cold. James had a trail of blood that ran from his hairline to just below his hazel eyes. Sirius's hair was matted and muddy, and his eyes were wild. Peter looked as if he was about to fall asleep on his feet.  Exhaustion and concern were the common expressions on their faces.

Fear had wrapped an icy hand around my heart, and I knew the words Sirius would speak before he uttered them.

"Remus is in the Hospital Wing." Sirius swallows, his silver irises refusing to meet my blue-green ones. "It's bad."

I stand up instantly, stepping away from the table, my breath uneven.

I had known it was coming. I knew that Remus would be in the infirmary within a few days. Even though I had known, I still wasn't prepared.

"I'm going to go see him." I pause, feeling my words sharpening into daggers. "Unless if I'm not allowed. I don't know him as much as you do, so maybe I should trust you to do it." I spat at the three, keeping my eyes locked on Sirius.

Pain flashes in each boys' eyes, but I shrug it off as I stalk out of the Great Hall and up the moving staircase, all the way to the Hospital Wing. James, Sirius, and Peter had followed me at a
distance, knowing not to test me.

As soon as I push open the doors to the Infirmary, my heart seems to stop. Every cell in my body tenses, my hands beginning to nervously pick at my cardigan.

A body that I knew was Remus lay in a bed by a window, limp and weak. His chest was rising and falling raggedly, a wheezing noise emitting from his throat with each breath. His eyes were closed, covering the emerald depths that would be so pained.

And the blood. There was a staggering amount of blood.

Bile threatens to rise to my mouth as my eyes travel over Remus's wounded body. Deep cuts riddled his skin in every place that I could see. Bandages were wrapped around them, but the deep scarlet stains were spreading through them. His golden-brown hair was tangled and sticky with the vile crimson liquid, and tears rose to my eyes as I glared at it. The slices on his face had been reopened, the edges of them rigid.

My feet carried me to his bedside, where I trembled from my immense worry and pity for my friend. I stretch my hand down to where one of his was fitfully twitching in his sleep. I take his hand in mine, frightened at how cold the surface of his skin was. At my touch, he whimpered, but did not stir.

"Remmy..." I whisper, my voice breaking. "What is happening to you?"

I ignore that he cannot hear me.

James, Sirius, and Peter approach the bed that Remus occupied. They gazed upon him with agony in their eyes, as if they could feel his pain in their own bodies.

"Will you three stay with him for the day?" I ask, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Yes." Peter answered while taking a seat at the foot of the bed.

I take a deep breath, stroking my fingers over one of the wounds on Remus's hand, before I stand. "I am going to classes. When they are done, I will be back."

And with that, I stood and walked towards another day of isolation.

A/N: POOR REMMY

This chapter was pretty short, but I think it was okay. Thanks for reading, and vote and comment if you liked it!