Chapter Seventeen ~ Hallow's Eve

"Calico, do you know what Sunday is?"

I look up from my plate, piled with toast, ham, eggs, and a muffin, to look up at James. He was sitting across from me, his hazel eyes bright and enthusiastic behind his rectangular glasses. Sirius was sitting next to James, and when he noticed what his companion had said, his silver eyes lit up as well.

"November 2nd." I answer half-heartedly. The only goal I had at the moment was to fill my empty stomach. For the last two days, all of my spare time had been spent in the Hospital Wing, watching and entertaining Remus. Whatever had happened to him, it had left him with severe injuries that might have permanently damaged or killed a muggle, but magic had made it healable. Because of my refusal to leave Remus's side, I had only eaten once or twice, and very little.

Now, with Remus beside me, bandages still covering his body beneath his buttoned-up Gryffindor cardigan, picking at pieces of his own ham, I had finally let myself go to a meal. His emerald eyes had slowly grown hopeful again, their sparkle returning.

"Well, yes, Calico-Cat, but it's not just another day." Sirius responds drily, rolling his eyes at me. "It is a day of victory! Of triumph! Of competition!" Sirius punctuates each word with a fist in the air. "Of crowds and adoring fans! Of millions of girls wishing that they could snog me! Of -"

"Severely inflated egos?" I contribute, keeping my voice unamused as I shove more food into my mouth.

To my left, Peter spits out his juice. To my right, I feel the warmth of Remus chuckling against me.

James rolls his eyes, almost identically to Sirius's own eye roll. "It's the first Quidditch match, and its us versus Slytherin."

"And we will annihilate them!" Sirius interjects, throwing another fist in the air.

Playfully, I add, "Before or after they fall off of their brooms, swooning at the pair of you -"

"Hush, cruel being!" Sirius exclaims, acting hurt. I snicker and look back at my food.

Suddenly, Remus's arm reached out in front of my face, his fist catching a roll that had been pelted towards me.

In surprise, I look up at Remus, and then to Sirius, whose arm was still in position from throwing the roll at my face.

"Now Padfoot, is it polite to throw rolls at our friends?" Remus ask, his voice light but also a bit serious beneath.

Sirius sighs heavily, exaggerating a groan. "No, but-"

"Ah-ah!" Remus chides, strangely motherly. I feel a giggle rise in my throat, but I hold it in. "Apologize to dear Calico-Cat."

Sirius looks to me, exasperation painted onto his features. "I am immeasurably regretful for throwing that roll at you. Please, I'm begging you, to find forgiveness in your heart for a poor soul like me, who is so, so sorry, for having thrown a roll at you, because throwing rolls is a wicked act, and I am purely evil for throwing that roll-" Every word that left his mouth, though articulate, was also severely sarcastic.

"We get it, Padfoot." Peter grumbles, just finishing mournfully cleaning up the juice he had sprayed everywhere.

"I accept your very gracious apology." I tell Sirius, and he waggles his eyebrows at me in response. "Happy Halloween."