Chapter Twenty-Two ~ Fireball Finley

Hogsmeade was ablaze.

Rings of fire trapped me in a sweltering prison despite the crisp day.  Black snowflakes fell through the pitch-black clouds of smoke. There were bodies everywhere, discarded like children's ragdolls across the courtyard, pitched up against the sides of buildings.

In a panic, I scrambled for my wand, feeling smoke sink into the depths of my lungs. As I glanced down, I had to hold in a scream.

At my feet was James, unconscious, his glasses knocked partially from his head.

A few feet away was Remus, a stain of soot as dark as Death across his cheek. Then Sirius, hands frozen near his throat, as if he had choked into an unconscious state. Pete - he was safe at my feet, a pant leg scorched.

Smoke was everywhere, thick and black. It filled my nose, mouth, throat, lungs, constricting my airways. I could feel my fingers desperately claw at my throat as if from miles away.

Suddenly, my vision grew hazy, and before I could call out for help, I collapsed to the ground, right beside the Marauders I had stood protecting from the encroaching flames. As everything faded to nothingness, I could spot dark, hooded figures picking their way through the wreckage, as if they were searching for something.

I wake with a jolt, my hands instinctively reaching for my wand. Sweat was plastered to the skin of my face, neck, and chest. For a moment, I felt as if the fire had gotten to me, burned me alive -

Near my feet, William let out a disgruntled burrrrrr? that dragged me back into reality.

I was in my dormitory. Lily, Marlene, and Alice lay in their own beds just feet away. With a glance at my clock, I realized that it was over an hour earlier than when I normally woke. The thought of trying to fall back asleep and seeing the flaming town, my unconscious friends -

"I think I'll stay awake," I whispered to William as I stroked the velvety fur around his ears. He had forgiven me for scorning him after his thorough brushing the previous evening, and now was very content with comforting me.

I sat with my feline companion for a few minutes and then began readying myself for the day of classes ahead. My mind could not avoid straying to my nightmare. I had dreamed of Hogsmeade ablaze on multiple occasions now - but it had to just be a coincidence, or some kind of subconscious symbolism, despite being frighteningly realistic.

As I trotted down into the Common Room, my braid swinging with my steps, I wasn't surprised to see that none of the Marauders had woken yet. They hardly ever showed themselves before the final few minutes before classes began.

Shrugging, I exited the common room and descended the stairway all the way to the Great Hall.

Only a handful of students from each house were milling about, serving themselves while yawning and rubbing the sleep from their eyes. Three students were sitting along the entire Gryffindor table.

To my surprise, there, right where the Marauders and I always sat, was a lone Remus, working away at buttering a slice of toast.

My mind returned to our oddly tense parting the night before. James, Sirius, and Pete's toilet-torture had gone longer than intended, so the five of us never ended up getting dinner together. I ate alone, and even though Remus could have come too, I couldn't find him anywhere.

Now, there he was, looking very unlike himself. I had grown used to seeing him beaming while around the other three and me, but when alone, he wasn't the same. He looked forlorn and the slightest bit angry.