Chapter Eighteen ~ Scarlet and Emerald

A buffeting wind greets me as I step outside of the castle's walls, the remaining warmth of the magical building dissipating immediately. Other than the dangerous gusts of air and the temperature, it was the perfect day for a Quidditch match. The sun was shining brilliantly, with only a few clouds suspended in the incredibly cerulean sky. Vast crowds of students dressed in their house colors flooded down across the jade-green grounds, all proud scarlets, royal sapphires, deep emeralds, and bright saffrons.

Remus and Peter walked on either side of me, all three of us wearing heavy cloaks and our Gryffindor scarves. Both of the boy's eyes were bright, smiles curling across their faces in pure excitement to witness the first Quidditch Match of the season. I tried to grin as well, but my worry for James and our house's team ate away at me, overpowering the anticipation. My hand absently picks at the button on my cloak.

An uneasiness still weighed down my heart from the previous day, Professor Grant's eerily accurate prophecy constantly echoing in my mind.

Hallow's Eve will be a time where the stag is hunted and the flower wilts.

Though the stag part was unclear to me, Lily had still become ill all of a sudden and was still in the infirmary, and James had been injured. The red-headed girl was still in the Infirmary, recovering slowly. The prophecy had come true, at least in part, which could mean that mine was not fully rubbish, but could be true.

"Your hair is golden."

I whip my head to my left, pulled from my thoughts by Remus's soft voice, close enough that I could feel his warm breath on my cheek. A shy, boyish smile was on his lips.

"What do you mean?" I reply, my words surprisingly sharp and defensive for some reason.

A soft blush rose to Remus's cheeks, but his playful smirk remained. "I mean that your hair is golden in the sun. Just a section of it, like some kind of crown."

I snorted. "A crown, huh?" A smile crept across my lips, but my cheeks had caught aflame. I focused all of my willpower on cooling them down.

"Yes, though I don't believe that I would trust you with one." Remus continued, his teeth showing in his grin.

"Why not?" I declare, turning around and stopping dead in my tracks. Peter gasped and shifted to the side. I glared up at Remus, our slight height difference still infuriating me as I playfully dared him to reply.

"Because, dear Calico-Cat," Remus paused to tap my nose, a victorious gleam in his irises. "You are far too flustered by a simple compliment from me. Why?"

For a moment, humiliation stabbed at my stomach, coupled with confusion as to why Remus's good-natured words affected me the way they did. Shaking my head, I flash a small smile.

"Because I am humble." I jokingly shove Remus, and the three of us continue on our way.

"Humble?" Peter exclaimed, his watery eyes widening. "Calico Finley, who shows off her power at every opportunity, is humble?"

"It appears she is also a terrible liar." Remus chuckles as I lightly punch him in the arm.

Peter continues, "That will be the title of her autobiography - 'Calico Finley, A Humble Liar'." Both of the boys fell into light laughing-fits after this remark.