Chapter Four ~ The Devouring Fire

Scorching heat seemed to slither on my skin, bringing me to an unnaturally high temperature. My wide, multi-color eyes open, and with a jolt I realize that I was standing in Hogsmede. But it wasn't normal, joyful and bustling Hogsmede: it was entirely covered in flames, and I was standing, surrounded by the devouring fire.

Ebony clouds of smoke hung low in the air, rising quickly. Where there wasn't any of the deadly haze, tainted dark snow fell through the chaos.

Coughing and terrified, I looked around, my eyes darting back and forth like a cornered animal. Bodies lay in the fire's path, some charred and black and others completely unmarked, but were soon to be devoured.

A broken pair of rectangular glasses was sprawled on the ground by my feet, a single hand stretched out towards it. The body that it belonged to was obscured by the smoke. My stomach churned uneasily as I fell to the ground, trying to stay low. I inched towards the hand, and moved along. An arm appeared, and then a shoulder, and finally a head.

Black hair was messily splayed across their head, the eyes closed beneath falling locks of it. With a sick feeling, I knew that the irises underneath them were hazel. They wore a Gryffindor sweater, and had their wand clutched in their other hand, as if they had fallen while trying to help.

James.

Three other bodies were close by. The light brown hair of Remus was almost all black from the soot, his scars standing out against the darkness of his face. Peter's sandy blond locks had been singed a bit, and his leg was very close to the flames. With a hectic leap I lunged toward his leg, dragging him away from the evil substance. The black mane of Sirius was limp on his head, his hands clutched at his throat.

With a strike of fear and panic, I whipped out my wand. I shouted out every possible spell I could think of that would prevent the fire from reaching us, but it barely held it off. This fire was different. From my studies, I remembered Fiendfyre, but it wasn't that. It had to be a regular fire with a dark curse on it.

All of a sudden, I felt as if I was choking. My head grew dizzy, and with a small whimper of protest, I collapsed in the middle of the circle of my unconscious friends.

I woke with a jump, my back going as straight as a board. Fright still pulsing through my veins, I looked around the area. With a sigh of relief, I realized that I was in the Hospital Wing, and James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus were all sitting around me, worry plain on their faces.

"Calico?" Remus utters, sounding nervous. "Are... are you alright?" His usually cheerful voice seems uncertain and unnerved.

"Uh..." My voice stops as the events of the previous day come rushing back to me.

"I made a promise, and I don't break promises." I had told Regulus, close to when he kissed me.

But I did lie to my best friends. I scold myself bitterly.

"Yeah, just a bad dream." I lift my hands to rub my face, but shoots of pain run through my left one. Cursing under my breath, I dropped it to the bed quickly.

"Madame Pomfrey said that you can leave after she checks it today." Peter gives a small smile after he finishes.

"At least it's not your right hand." James offers, a twinkle in his eyes. "You can still do all the schoolwork!"