Chapter Fourteen ~ A Chilly Evening

"You look as if you are about to pass out."

I brush a lock of my reddish-brown hair behind my ear as I stand in the Gryffindor Common Room across from Remus. It had been a few weeks since my first prank, and the days had passed by in a blur of schoolwork and the Marauders. The coolness of autumn had set into a definitive cold, and at nights, frost would cover the sweeping grounds of Hogwarts. Not one student enjoyed journeying outside anymore, preferring the warmth and the company of their common rooms to the chill in the air.

It was from this chill that I had contracted the common cold, which had graciously gifted me a stuffy nose, a sore throat, and coughing bouts that occurred a handful of times a day.

A groan from the boy across of me brings my eyes to him. I look Remus up and down. His skin was pale as snow, and lilac circles looked almost drawn into the skin beneath his currently dull green eyes. For the last few days, he had been growing ill, but in a different, much more serious way than I had, and though I constantly pestered him to go to the Hospital Wing, he adamantly refused.

Stubborn Remus. I think, taking a step closer to him. I was wearing a dark red sweater, and it glowed scarlet as I approached the hearth, where the exhausted Remus was standing. The golden hairs on his head shone from the flickering light.

Remus's eyes drifted up to mine, their usual swirling gone. He attempted a smile, but it came out more like a grimace. A pang of worry hit me square in the chest.

"I can assure you that I will not." His voice was thin and weak sounding, and his words did not convince me in the slightest.

"Remus, if you die, it could be on my hands. So, I insist - go to the Hospital Wing." As my words drift from my mouth, I catch a glimmer of amusement rush across Remus's face, but only for a moment.

"What about you? Shouldn't you be in the Hospital Wing?" Remus fires back. I try to ignore the trembling in his voice in-between words.

"Merlin's beard, Remus! I have a minor sinus infection, which is no reason to go to the Hospital Wing!" I retort with a small cough as I finish.

"Exactly. What I have will..." Remus paused, and a strange expression flashed on his face. All I know was that it made the darkest, most hopeless emotions swirl deep within me. "Go away, in time."

Frowning, I step even closer to Remus, taking one of his hands in both of mine. Lowering my voice, I whisper into his ear, "Remmy, I'm worried about you. This... affliction... is what happened last Slug Club." My voice fails to form words for a moment. "You passed out right in front of me. You weren't conscious, so you didn't see how terrified I was..." Shaking my head, I stepped away from Remus, whose eyes followed me with a melancholy hint in them.

"Calico, I - I'm sorry that I am frightening you. But you have to trust that I am fine. I am no stranger to this." His voice was sorrowful, but it was a guarded grief.

Reluctantly, I nod. "Alright." The words came out more bitter that I had intended, and I felt more disappointment than I thought I would when I retract my hands from his, their shaking resuming as I step away.

I hated with all of my soul that I didn't know what was happening to Remus. Ever since I could talk and comprehend words, I had wanted to know everything and anything, and became very frustrated when I was left in the dark on purpose.