Chapter Thirteen ~ The Initiation

I yawn as I sit at breakfast, reading a new book about popular boggarts and why people had that fear.

The boys hadn't come down with me, as they were not awake when I decided I was hungry. Grumbling, I had descended the stairs all alone, as Lily and the other girls were nowhere to be found.  I ate a piece of toast and some eggs before turning to my literature while waiting for someone to show up.

I became so intrigued with how people feared open windows that I didn't even realize James and Sirius sliding down the bench towards me from each side. That is, until they were practically on top of me.

Suddenly, I raise my head from my book, looking at James suspiciously. "What are you doing?"

James smirks and ruffles my hair, leading to me slapping his hand away. He yanks it back in mock pain, trying to hold back his laughing.

Sirius then pokes me in the cheek, and I spin my head to face him. "What are you doing?"

Sirius rolls his eyes, leaning on one hand. "Oh, nothing, really." He pauses, his steely grey eyes drifting down to my face. "We're just wondering if you're truly loyal to us."

Raising a brow, I shoot back, "What, is this some kind of cult?"

"No, no, of course not, dear Calico-Cat." James replies, stroking my braid annoyingly. I instantly shake my locks from his grasp.

"Would you do anything for us, if it was important to us?" Sirius picks up, a humorless air present in his voice.

The question pokes at my thoughts for a moment. Would I really do anything for these boys? I had only known them for a short time, and yet we had a strong bond.

"I mean, within reason." I begin honestly. "If you asked me to kill someone, I wouldn't do that."

Sirius grins maliciously. "Oh, that's all you wouldn't do? Good to know."

I groan frustratedly. "I didn't mean-"

"That's all we needed." James finishes, as he stands, the other boy standing with him. "See you later, Calico."

Then they were gone.

"Oh, no."

Quickly, I finish the chapter I was on and leap to my feet, hurrying out of the Great Hall and all of the way up to Gryffindor Tower.

I burst into the Common Room, where all four of the Marauders were sitting in the overstuffed armchairs. James and Sirius wore content smirks on their faces. Remus grinned as his eyes found mine, his entire face lighting up. A tuft of his golden-brown hair hind over his left eye. Pete sat on the end, a plotting look on his face. Only one or two more students were present in the room, and they were preparing to leave for classes.

"Okay, what is going on?" I ask the group, by none of them answer. Frustrated, I huff and focus on Remus. "Remus?"

He simply shrugs, before grinning mischievously, a new sparkle in his eye. "Sorry, Calico-Cat. I'm sworn to secrecy."

I roll my eyes, partially in playfulness and partially in annoyance. "Hm. And to think that you were my favorite."

A blush floods to Remus's cheeks at my words, before I place a hand on my hip, staring at each of them in the eye. "So, what is your evil plan?"